Organizations and Community Ministries
Religious and Spiritual Life consists of recognized student organizations, community ministries, and university programs. All student organizations and university programs are fully inclusive of all students in good standing. Student organizations are student-led. Community ministries are led by external organizations and staff affiliates. Christian community ministries require student leaders to affirm certain beliefs and practices that can be found in their linked bylaws below or on PhoenixConnect.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Contact Joel Harter to talk about starting your own!
All organizations and community ministries agree to a Pledge of Cooperation and follow the University’s Faith Sharing and Proselytizing Policy. See our Policies for Religious and Spiritual Life for more information.
*Community Ministries led by external organizations
Campus Outreach is a nondenominational organization which seeks to develop spiritual leaders on the college campus. We provide a variety of opportunities for students to investigate Christianity and grow spiritually while at Elon, including Bible studies, large group meetings, retreats, and conferences. See Campus Outreach Bylaws for beliefs and leadership requirements.
- Tuesdays, 8:08 in Global Commons 301
- Student Leaders: Daniel Byrd, Maclean Wilson, Molly Jenks
- Campus Outreach Staff: Gavin Billings
- Fac/Staff Advisors: Stephen Byrd
Catholic Campus Ministry
Catholic Campus Ministry is a vibrant community that comes together in worship at Mass throughout the week and live out their faith in Christ through fellowship and service. CCM holds many events that celebrate the traditions of the Catholic faith, including opportunities for retreats, personal and spiritual growth, social events, leadership, and spring break service trips. 🏳️🌈CCM does not discriminate in membership or leadership selection.
- Sunday Mass: 10:00 am, Numen Lumen Pavilion; 5:00 pm, Elon Community Church
- Friday Mass: 12:10 pm, Numen Lumen Pavilion
- Tuesday Mass: 8:30pm, Holt Chapel
- Student President: Maddie Gall
- Student Vice President: Courtney Kollar
- Campus Priest and Associate Chaplain for Catholic Life: Father Peter Tremblay, OFM Conv., 336.278.7355
- Director of Catholic Life: T. Huynh-Duc, 336.278.7363
- Student Engagement Coordinator: Kaitlyn Sendzik, 336.278.7363
- Student Ministry Coordinator: Leah Breindel 336.278.7363
Chabad is your Jewish family at college, where you’re always welcome, regardless of your background or affiliation. Chabad is a center that provides religious, educational, social, and recreational programming for the Elon Jewish community, as well as a place for students to socialize in a comfortable setting with friends, superb food, and stimulating discussions. Chabad is located a few minutes walk from campus at 107 Truitt Dr.
- Chabad Community Affiliates: Rabbi Mendy Minkowitz and Rivka (Raskin) Minkowitz
- Student Leaders: Lauren Weinberg, Sydnie Holder, Samantha Herbert, Noah Lakind, and Daniel Schiff
Elon Gospel Choir
Gospel Choir is a ministry of students who have a mutual interest in music and singing and a love for Jesus Christ. Gospel Choir strives to provide students with an environment that embodies a feeling of togetherness and family. All students who love worship and singing are welcome. 🏳️🌈Gospel Choir does not discriminate in membership or leadership selection.
- Wednesdays, 7:30 pm, Numen Lumen Pavilion – Classroom 201
- Gospel Choir Student Leaders: Lucy Callicott
At Elon, it doesn’t matter how you are Jewish, or how Jewish you are. You can find your on-camps home a Hillel. Whether you are looking for a fridge full of food, a place to hang out of study, a way to meet other Jewish students, or somewhere to celebrate a Jewish holiday, you are always welcome. Our Hillel is a judgement-free zone, and there are no dues or requirements. We offer social, cultural, educational, religious and spiritual, tikkum olam (community service), and Israel-related programs that are designed and planned by our students, and we gather for Shabbat every week, and mark the Jewish holidays as a community. 🏳️🌈Elon Hillel is a fully inclusive, LGBTQIA-affirming community.
- Student Leader: Gabe Scherzer, Maquie Weiss
- Director of Jewish Life: Betsy Polk, 336.278.7729
- Assistant Director of Jewish Life: Hillary Zaken
- Associate Chaplain for Jewish Life: Rabbi Sandra Lawson, 336.278.7729
- Jewish Engagement Liason: Boaz Avraham-Katz, 336.278.6019
- Fac/Staff Advisors: Jeff Stein and Richard Landesberg
Elon Muslim Society
The Elon Muslim Society provides Muslim students with a community of members who share their faith tradition and spiritual values. EMS allows opportunities for Muslims and non-Muslims on campus to celebrate special religious occasions, to engage in discussions around shared beliefs and relevant events, and to provide the Elon community with representation, explanation, and education about the Muslim tradition. We also hope to bring awareness to the presence of the Muslim faith on campus, and allow for first-hand experiences with members of the faith tradition and to promote the value of diversity and mutual respect. 🏳️🌈EMS does not discriminate in membership or leadership selection.
- Associate Chaplain: Immam Shane Atkinson
- Fac/Staff Advisor: Shereen Elgamal
- Student Leaders: Heeba Chergui, Alaa Suleiman
Elon Yoga Club
Yoga Club is a community of students from all skill levels who practice and learn yoga together as a spiritual or centering practice. We explore all things yoga from postural practice to philosophical discussions. We are a multifaith community that welcomes religious and non-religious students from all backgrounds. If you do not have a mat, we have plenty you can borrow. 🏳️🌈Yoga Club is a fully inclusive, LGBTQIA-affirming community.
- Mondays, 7:30 pm, Sacred Space (Numen Lumen Pavilion)
- Student Leaders: Maggie Davis
- Fac/Staff Advisor: Joel Harter, Samantha Murray
Fellowship of Christian Athletes*
FCA supports the spiritual lives of Christian student athletes, coaches, and any student with an interest or association with sports or athletics at Elon. FCA meets regularly for worship, bible study, fellowship, and social activities. See FCA Bylaws for beliefs and leadership requirements.
- Tuesdays, Alumni Fieldhouse
- Student Leader: James Contino
- Fac/Staff Advisor: Tina Readling
- Campus Staff: Alex Mebane, Kelli Nieuwsma
InterVarsity Christian Fellowship*
InterVarsity is a nondenominational Christian ministry that provides a transformational community where students can learn together what it means to grow in relationship with Jesus. InterVarsity offers small group Bible studies, retreats and social events, and other opportunities for growth and outreach. See InterVarsity Bylaws for beliefs and leadership requirements.
- Wednesdays, 7:30, TBD
Interfaith Spring Break Trip
Join us during spring break for an interfaith community service trip focused on social justice, direct service, community cooperation, and interfaith exploration. The Spring 2021 trip is planned to be an Alternative Break in partnership with Elon Volunteers to the Lakota Oglala Tribe in Pine Ridge, South Dakota. Students from all backgrounds (religious and non-religious) are welcome to apply. Last year, the Interfaith Spring Break Trip traveled to New York to engage with and learn about different faith communities. 🏳️🌈The Interfaith Spring Break Trip welcomes the diverse beliefs/wordlviews and affirms the diverse identities of all its participants.
- Multifaith Coordinator: Allison Pelyhes
Iron Tree Blooming
Iron Tree Blooming is Elon’s meditation society. Our practice is based on the Rinzai Zen tradition and open to students, faculty, and staff from all backgrounds who want to learn about and practice meditation in community with others. No prior experience with meditation is necessary. 🏳️🌈Iron Tree Blooming is a fully inclusive, LGBTQIA-affirming community.
- Thursdays, 4:15 pm, McBride Gathering Space (Numen Lumen Pavilion)
- Student Leader: Lauren Siedlecki, Thomas Vivona
- Fac/Staff Advisor: Barbara Gordon
LEAF is a welcoming and inclusive Christian community open to all Elon students. We gather as a community weekly for Christian worship, meeting every Sunday in the Sacred Space of the Numen Lumen Pavilion at 4:30pm, with a separate, homemade dinner at 5:30pm in the McBride Gathering Space. In addition, we also meet for coffee and conversation (Tuesdays, 4-6 pm, Irazu). LEAF lives out our welcoming values and invites people to join us for events or dinner without expectations of joining us for worship. LEAF began in 2007 as “Lutherans, Episcopalians, and Friends,” and LEAF today includes Christians and others from various denominations and non-denominations. Our doors and hearts are always open and all are welcome regardless of previous or current religious beliefs. 🏳️🌈LEAF is a fully inclusive, LGBTQIA-affirming community.
Connect with us on Facebook
- Sundays, 4:30 pm, Sacred Space (Numen Lumen Pavilion)
- Student Leaders: Catherine Stallsmith
- Campus Minister: Julie Tonnesen
- Fac/Staff Advisor: Joel Harter
The Truitt Center partners with Counseling Services to offer Mindfulness workshops and retreats throughout the year that help students with stress management and spiritual well-being. Learn more about Mindful Elon. 🏳️🌈Mindful Elon programs are fully inclusive and LGBTQIA-affirming.
OneSixteen is a student-led nondenominational Christian group that focuses on spiritual development, fellowship, and service. OneSixteen meets every Monday at 7 p.m. for dinner and Bible Study with worship events, prayer nights and fun happenings throughout the semester.
- Every other Monday, 7:00 pm, Moseley 221 (the CREDE)
- Student Leaders: Matisse Gilmore, Mikayla Medley
- Fac/Staff Advisor: Vivian Ratliff
We are an inclusive group promoting more open and progressive conversations about scripture, social issues, and social justice. All students are welcome, regardless of belief or identities, including students from other campus Christian groups. 🏳️🌈PUG is a fully inclusive, LGBTQIA-affirming community.
- Wednesdays, 8:00 pm, Numen Lumen Pavilion 203 (Oasis)
- Student Leaders: Stephanie Neu
- Campus Minister: Joel Harter
🏳️🌈 Spirit and Pride
Many of our communities are Open and Affirming of LGBTQIA students and allies, and all of our university chaplains are LGBTQIA-affirming. Contact one of our chaplains for more information: Jan Fuller, Joel Harter, Rabbi Sandra Lawson, or our multifaith coordinator Allison Pelyhes.
UKirk-Wesley: A Presbyterian Methodist Student Fellowship
Ukirk-Wesley is a progressive Christian Community dedicated to exploring and discovering faith with college students; empowering them to live out their faith with a hunger for justice, peace, and service to others. Ukirk-Wesley works to foster a welcoming and nurturing Christian community in which students are invited to participate in fellowship, worship, and service with one another. 🏳️🌈Ukirk-Wesley is a fully inclusive, LGBTQIA-affirming community.
- Thursdays, 7:30 pm, Numen Lumen Pavilion 203 (Oasis)
- Student Leader: Caroline Seelman
- Fac/Staff Advisor: Happy Kerns
- Campus Minister: Taylor Barner
Young Life College*
Young Life College is a nondenominational Christian organization that offers students a fun community to explore or deepen their faith. Students at any point of their faith are welcome to come and see what Jesus is all about, and there are opportunities to help mentor and lead in local area high schools, middle schools, or college Young Life groups.