Student Well-Being

Faculty play a crucial role in supporting students’ mental wellness throughout their teaching, advising, and mentoring roles at the university. To learn more about proactive strategies faculty can build into their everyday practice to support student mental wellness, as well as to prepare to engage with students in crisis, visit CATL’s resource page on this topic. Below you’ll find guidance for referring students in crisis or other situations that require an immediate response, as well as links for reporting other related types of concerns.

Always call 9-1-1 first for medical/psychological emergencies and for any behaviors that may be potentially violent, dangerous, or severely disruptive.

Referring a student in a psychological crisis situation

Monday-Friday from 8:00am to 5:00 pm: call Counseling Services at (336) 278-7280 or escort the student to Counseling Services’ office at 301 S. O’Kelly Ave. Let the program assistant know it is an emergency. Please note, the program assistant will be out of the office during the noon hour, however, a counselor will be available to respond to crises.

After business hours and on weekends: access the Student Life Emergency Response System by calling Campus Safety and Police at (336) 278-5555, and asking to speak with the Counselor on Call.

Learn more about crisis assistance

Emergency psychological services are also available through Cone Behavioral Health Hospital by calling the 24-hour HelpLine at (336) 832-9700 or 1 (800) 711-2635. Students may also go directly to the emergency room of Alamance Regional Medical Center at 1240 Huffman Mill Rd, Burlington, NC 27215.

Learn more about the comprehensive Student Life Emergency Response System

Confidential support for students

Students who are seeking confidential support for acts of bias and violence (including sexual violence) may call SAFEline at (336) 278-3333. SAFEline is Elon’s confidential support hotline for members of the Elon community who may be experiencing or who have experienced identity-based bias, discrimination or harassment, sexual violence, domestic/relationship violence or stalking. Note: Contacting SAFEline will not access emergency responders; anyone needing emergency police or medical attention should call 9-1-1.

Reporting a non-emergency incident or concern

The university has processes in place for faculty to share concerns regarding  student health or well-being that do not require immediate attention, as well as to report incidents of bias, gender-based violence or sexual misconduct, harassment, hazing, or inappropriate student conduct.

Learn more or submit a report

In addition to submitting a report, you may also contact Paul Tongsri, Director of Student Care and Outreach, at (336) 278-7200.

Learn more about Student Care and Outreach

Counseling appointments are available to students through the Student Health Center. Counseling Services can be reached at (336) 278-7280.

Learn more about Counseling Services

Reporting an academic concern

The Early Warning System (eWarning) was designed as a support for faculty, on a voluntary basis, to identify students who are in academic trouble. This e-mail account that has been set up for faculty to report any students with excessive absences, missing quizzes, lack of class participation, or other academic concerns. If you submit to ewarning, please include the student’s name and local phone number and the professor’s name, class, and reason(s) for the warning. Academic Support maintains this system and will receive the email, which is then sent to the student and the student’s advisor.

Learn more about eWarning

Staying Safe on Campus

Campus Safety & Police has many resources for staying safe on campus, such as the E-Alert text notification system, the LiveSafe app for two-way communication directly with Campus Safety & Police, campus evacuation procedures, and a training video in case of an active shooter scenario.

Learn more about E-Alert