Elon University runs two Study Abroad courses in Jewish Studies:
- GST/ENG 240-IS: Holocaust Journey, a winter course which brings students to a variety of locations that were significant to the Jewish experience during the Holocaust.
- GST 289-IS: Israel, Palestine and Jordan: Living Stones of Peace, a course which explore the religious, cultural, historical, and socio-economic dimensions of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.
Elon has also affiliate relationships with three study abroad programs that offer substantial Jewish Studies opportunities:
- The International School at the University of Haifa offers a wide range of Jewish Studies courses, focused on religion, politics, history, literature, and languages.
- The DanceJerusalem program combines a rigorous dance curriculum at the Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance with elective opportunities at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
- The CET Jewish Studies in Prague program focuses on the rich history and culture of the Jews in Central and Eastern Europe.
Other study abroad programs that may be of interest to Elon students include the Rothberg International School at Hebrew University. If you are interested in a semester in New York focused on Jewish Studies, consider the Semester at List College program of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America.
Listen to Eva Yaffe ’13 discuss her experience studying in Haifa:
Summer Study Opportunities
- Programs in Hebrew and other areas of Jewish Studies at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City
- The summer Yiddish program at the National Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, Massachusetts
- The YIVO-Bard Institute’s Summer Language Program
- The Tikvah Summer Fellowship on Jewish Thought & Citizenship
- A variety of summer internship opportunities
Summer study abroad:
- Summer programs in archaeology or in Hebrew language at the University of Haifa
- Summer programs in a variety of subject areas at Hebrew University in Jerusalem
- The summer program at the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies
- Programs in Hebrew and Jewish text study at the Conservative Yeshiva in Jerusalem
- The CET Prague Program’s summer courses in Jewish Studies.
Winter Study Opportunities