* ask questions
* stop and listen
* look at the reasons and not just the position
* slow down
* avoid automatic comebacks
* admit uncertainty
* don't avoid conflict
* treat disagreement as a learning opportunity
* explore other views
Think for yourself: remember Abraham!
Watch for narrower and wider interpretations:
Which fits better in your situation?
Do other values also come up?
...from Facts/ from Values/ Analogies/ Definitions
* ask around
* intermediate impossible
* random association
* PO thinking
* How could the problem be headed off or transformed into something more manageable?
* What is each side right about?
* What new directions are possible once we start on common ground?
* Listen first; then you can ask for the same courtesy back
* Seek out common ground
Start with areas of agreement:
How can both/all sides find a way forward together?
* Look for opportunities to take a constructive turn
Remember: there are no easy or simple answers:
otherwise this wouldn't be a problem...