The Master of Arts in Higher Education program enrolls in August. Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis. Please submit all required application materials no later than January 5. We encourage applicants to apply as early as possible for full scholarship. Applications completed after the deadline will be considered based on space availability.
- Evidence of an earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate studies completed or taken, and sent to Elon’s Office of Graduate Admissions from the institution; transcripts may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
2750 Campus Box
Elon, NC 27244
- Recommended GPA of 3.0 or higher for undergraduate work
- If you have less than a 3.0 cumulative GPA, you must take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT); have your official GRE or MAT scores sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions using Elon’s GRE code of 5183 or MAT code of 1355
- Personal Statement – The statement should be no more than 1,500 words and should address the following:
1. Why do you want to study at Elon and describe the impact you want to make in higher education?
2. What experience, skills and characteristics do you possess that make you a strong candidate for the higher education program and profession?
3. Describe one issue or challenge facing higher education that you hope to address as a professional.
- Two letters of recommendation – one from a faculty member who can speak to the quality of your academic skills and writing, and one from a supervisor or mentor associated with a recent work or leadership role
- A completed application with a $50 nonrefundable fee
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required unless English is the student’s native language or the language of instruction; a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) or 79 (Internet-based) is required; English translations of transcripts and explanations of grading systems are required; exceptions to these requirements may be considered under special circumstances
A student enrolled in the M.A. in Higher Education program may be permitted to transfer 3 semester hours of appropriate graduate credit from a graduate program in a fully accredited institution. For transfer credits, grades earned at another graduate school must be at least a “B,” and the credit must not be more than six calendar years old at the time of degree completion at Elon. Only a course that has not been used to fulfill degree requirements can be proposed for transfer credit. No graduate credit will be allowed for excess credits completed in an undergraduate classification in any institution. No graduate credit will be allowed for correspondence courses, field-based work, or non-accredited institutions. Students seeking to transfer credits to the M.A. in Higher Education program should consult the MHE Graduate Director for guidance on the transfer credit approval process. Requests to transfer credits must be made prior to the first semester of enrollment. Students will not receive a refund for the course requirement fulfilled with transfer credits.