Admissions Requirements

The Master of Arts in Higher Education program enrolls in August. Please submit all required application materials by the priority deadline, Monday January 10. We encourage applicants to apply as early as possible. Applications completed after the deadline will be considered based on space availability.

  • Evidence of an earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
  • Official transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate studies completed or taken, and sent to Elon’s Office of Graduate Admissions from the institution; transcripts may be emailed to or mailed to:
    Elon University
    Office of Graduate Admissions
    2750 Campus Box
    Elon, NC 27244
  • Recommended GPA of 3.0 or higher for undergraduate work
  • Essay Prompts – Please answer the following three prompts, giving equal attention to each one. Your total essay should not exceed 1500 words. Your essay will be reviewed for clarity of expression and insight:

1. Why do you want to earn your M.A. in Higher Education at Elon?  Avoid simply listing or describing features of the program or university, but rather explain why you believe this specific program will best prepare you for success as a higher education professional.

2. The admissions committee will review your resume, your transcripts and your letters of recommendation, all of which tell them important things about you and your qualifications. But there is more to you than these documents. Please share with the admissions committee how your life experiences (including those meaningful activities listed on your resume and/or experiences and events not included elsewhere in your application) have prepared you to make a meaningful contribution to Elon and the M.A. of Higher Education program.

3. What is one issue or challenge facing higher education that you hope to address as a professional? First, introduce the issue, then describe the particular position you have adopted on the issue and what impact might it have on how you approach your graduate studies in higher education?

  • Two letters of recommendation – one from a faculty member who can speak to the quality of your academic skills and writing, and one from a supervisor or mentor associated with a recent work or leadership role
  • Resume
  • A completed application with a $60 nonrefundable fee. The application fee will be waived for the fall 2022 application cycle in an effort to assist all affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

International Students

Because several months may be required to receive and process forms from international applicants, applications and complete documentation should be submitted as early as possible.

Requirements for International Students on F-1 Visas

In addition to M. A. in Higher Education Admissions Requirements, F-1 student applications must include:

  • Students attending a school where English is not the primary language of instruction must demonstrate English proficiency by submitting the TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test scores.
    • Minimum TOEFL score requirement: 80 (internet-based test)
    • Minimum IELTS score requirement: 6.5
    • Minimum Duolingo English Test requirement: 110
    • An original bank statement or bank letter issued within the last six months.
    • English translations of transcripts and explanations of grading systems are required if the transcripts are from institution(s) outside the United States.
    • A completed Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR) is necessary prior to approval of application for admission.
    • Medical insurance and immunization records. (Elon requires students to maintain health insurance during the entire period of enrollment.)

    To maintain F-1 status, students must:

    • All students in the M.A. in Higher Education are required to complete the program in 22 months, which may include a summer internship.

    • Maintain continuous enrollment with a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester (fall and spring).

    • Report to the Isabella Cannon Global Education Center at the beginning of each academic term and at any time that changes in academic or financial status occur.

    Transfer Credits

    A student enrolled in the M.A. in Higher Education program may be permitted to transfer 3 semester hours of appropriate graduate credit from a graduate program in a fully accredited institution. For transfer credits, grades earned at another graduate school must be at least a “B,” and the credit must not be more than six calendar years old at the time of degree completion at Elon. Only a course that has not been used to fulfill degree requirements can be proposed for transfer credit. No graduate credit will be allowed for excess credits completed in an undergraduate classification in any institution. No graduate credit will be allowed for correspondence courses, field-based work, or non-accredited institutions. Students seeking to transfer credits to the M.A. in Higher Education program should consult the MHE Graduate Director for guidance on the transfer credit approval process. Requests to transfer credits must be made prior to the first semester of enrollment. Students will not receive a refund for the course requirement fulfilled with transfer credits.