Institutional Research & Assessment
The Office of Institutional Research and Assessment at Elon University supports institutional effectiveness and assessment efforts at the university, division, school, and program level. Duties and responsibilities include research design, data collection and analysis, and dissemination of information to support strategic goals and initiatives. To support informed decision-making, the office partners with campus constituents to educate and collaborate on effective use of institutional data.
To support the mission of the University, the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment is responsible for the following:
- Data Management and Analytics: Creates and manages databases for dashboards and related analytic tools.
- External Reporting: Serves as a resource for comprehensive, accurate, and consistent information in response to requests from external stakeholders.
- Internal Reporting and Research: Compiles data, designs and conducts research to meet needs of stakeholders on campus, compiles, analyzes, and interprets data to support planning efforts by university administrators and committees.
- Assessment: The office supports university, schools, departments, and programs with the systematic collection, review, and use of information about educational programs for the purpose of improving student learning and development.
- Education and Training: Through campus outreach, OIRA partners with campus constituents to support effective use of Institutional Research and Assessment data.
The following values reflect that we act in accordance and have high standards with regard to confidentiality, personal integrity, and professional development, with contribution to the craft.
- We maintain strict confidence and security of all confidential information in our possession about Elon or any of its constituent parts.
- We treat all participants with dignity and respect and weigh risks/benefits in every study according to the generally accepted ethical standards.
- We commit to conduct research in an objective manner utilizing the highest standards for accuracy in methodology, data quality, and the presentation of findings with professionally responsible interpretation.
Although not comprehensive, these values are manifested the Code of Ethics and Professional Practice of the Association for Institutional Research.