About WGSS Programming
WGSS is committed to sponsoring quality programming that aligns with our mission and values. Throughout each academic year, we aim to bring forth opportunities for Elon’s students, faculty, and staff to engage in conversations about gender and sexualities. The community can expect to see a regular slate of programming from WGSS, which may also work in partnership with campus organizations, offices, and programs with shared interests.
In a given year, you can expect:
- Events (fall and spring) to bring together existing and prospective minors
- Faculty/staff working group for those interested and engaged in WGSS-related scholarship
- An event to highlight WGSS-related campus scholarship
- An event supported by the Lauren Dunne Astley Memorial Lecture
- End of year banquet to celebrate our program and graduating minors
Plus one or more of the following:
- A prominent film/documentary screening
- A regional, national, or international speaker
- An event highlighting timely issues “in the news”
Program & Event Co-Sponsorship
WGSS is also open to co-sponsoring events or programs initiated and led by other campus departments, programs, offices, and/or organizations. If you would like to suggest such partnership, we invite you to submit a co-sponsorship request form.
Lauren Dunne Astley Memorial Lecture
Lauren Dunne Astley attended Elon’s spring 2011 orientation and was to have been a member of Elon’s Class of 2015. In July 2011, Lauren was murdered by her former boyfriend, who was sentenced to life in prison for his crime. Lauren’s name stands for the 3-4 women who are killed by their partners every day in the United States.
Schirmer Family Endowment
The Schirmer Endowment comes from the family of Liza Schirmer Rubenoff ’06. This endowment supports Elon University and specifically the Women’s/Gender Studies program. Established by Dr. Bruce D. and Geri E. Schirmer in honor of their daughter, Liza ’06, this endowment funds events co-sponsored by WGSS and the GLC.