The mission of the MHE program at Elon is to prepare leaders equipped with the tools to create and execute institutional mission, vision and priorities, and support college students in their learning and development. This program prepares higher education professionals who will lead institutions of higher education with optimism, integrity, knowledge, passion, skill and respect for the diversity of humanity. Graduates will be proactive leaders, mentors and advocates for social justice and ethical decision makers.
Students will learn and practice the principles for effective undergraduate education; explore the functions, issues and leadership of higher education; and prepare for leadership roles in colleges and universities.
Elon is known for its student-centered environment rooted in experiential learning and global engagement. In line with those key elements, the MHE program’s curriculum is infused with enriching hands-on experiences to further enhance student knowledge. While in the program, students will participate in on-campus apprenticeships, internships, study abroad, case studies and a capstone experience.
Graduates will leave the program as visionary professionals prepared to advance student learning and improve institutions of higher education.
The MHE is a 36-hour program that features a theory-to-practice curriculum designed to link high impact practices with an engaged learning pedagogy. Students will gain knowledge through:
- Paid apprenticeships and other experiences integrated within and connected to coursework
- Instruction and mentoring by higher education professionals who serve in a variety of roles in a university setting
- Study Abroad/Study USA experience
- Internships that enable students to practice skills acquired in the classroom in a wide variety of settings
- Monthly colloquia on emerging and current topics in higher education
- A capstone experience
- Emphasis on career readiness, culminating in a national conference
As a collaborative, inclusive community of students, faculty and staff, Elon values advocacy for social justice. We foster respect for human differences, passion for a life of learning, personal integrity, and an ethic of work and service. The MHE will reflect and embrace the ethical and professional standards of the School of Education through its curriculum, instruction, experiences and activities.