Learning Assistance offers Elon University students drop-in and by-appointment tutoring, student success workshops, and individual student success consultations.
Services in Spring 2021
Learning Assistance will offer a hybrid model of support for spring term as we offer both in-person and online tutoring for most supported courses/disciplines. This model will ensure that students and tutors who don’t feel comfortable meeting in person, who are at greater risk of illness, and those who become ill, will be able to access academic support. Students who prefer in-person assistance will be able to meet in person with a tutor while maintaining a safe physical distance.
The mission of Learning Assistance is to support both faculty instruction and student learning by providing academic assistance, which reinforces and supplements the university curriculum.
Our goals include:
- Hiring qualified peer tutors to help students identify specific problems they are experiencing with their courses, establishing procedures for addressing those problems, and providing useful, immediate feedback concerning their progress.
- Training peer tutors to develop competence in tutoring methodology and interpersonal skills that will demonstrate respect for the whole person.
- Building self-respect and self-confidence in the students served so that they can become independent learners.
- Collaborating with faculty to ensure that academic support augments the classroom experience.
- Offering services that enhance a student’s academic experience.
- Collaborating with partners within The Koenigsberger Learning Center to provide holistic support for students.
- Organizing campus-wide initiatives and offering workshops to support a strong academic culture at Elon.