We are excited to announce that we will be returning to in person classes for the 2021-2022 academic year, and that we are adding a Thursday morning virtual class that will meet on Zoom! However, in response to the rapidly evolving circumstances around Covid-19 and out of an abundance of caution and care for the well-being of LIFE@Elon members, the LIFE@Elon Executive Board has voted to enact the following healthy protocols until circumstances warrant adjustment:
- Beginning Fall 2021, all LIFE@Elon members and speakers must wear a face covering mask or shield when indoors in Johnston Hall.
- To encourage healthy practices, we will not be providing beverages or snacks during class breaks until further notice.
Registration is underway for all who are interested in joining the program. There are still spaces available in both Wednesday classes as well as the new virtual Zoom class. View the Program and Membership Information page to read more and to register.
If you are not a member but are interested in learning more by receiving a phone call or an email, please click here to join our waiting list.
Providing learning opportunities for people over the age of fifty.
Elon University’s lifelong education program completed its tenth year in the spring of 2021! It has been an incredible success and it continues to improve each year, thanks to the great work of our dedicated volunteers. The program was designed to offer non-credit learning opportunities to people ages 50 and older. The learning institute, called LIFE@Elon, features weekly presentations, on a variety of different topics, conducted in an engaging format. There are 12 classes offered per semester (fall and spring) which are taught by current and retired Elon faculty and staff members, other area educators, and presenters chosen by our Curriculum Committee volunteers.
We offer five class times so members can chose the time that works best with their schedule when registering. Once chosen, that is the one they attend all year. Current members will get to register before those on the waiting list and they will get priority when choosing the class they want to attend. The class times are:
- Tuesday morning class that meets from 10:00-12:00
- Tuesday afternoon class that meets from 1:30-3:30
- Wednesday morning class that meets from 10:00-12:00
- Wednesday afternoon class that meets from 1:30-3:30
- Thursday morning virtual class that meets on Zoom from 10:00-12:00
Members pay a yearlong membership fee of $150, which includes enrollment in all 24 sessions, round-table discussions, borrowing privileges at Elon’s Belk Library, special interest groups, Fun Friday events, and Zoom training.
Examples of sessions examined in previous semesters are:
- A Short History of Jazz
- How Media Shapes Politics
- Music Theatre at Elon
- Stem Cell Research and the Future of Health Care
- The Drama of Our Oceans
- Post-Civil War History
- Cathedrals of Europe