All Spring 2020 shifts are currently booked. There are no more available seats in the lab. Students interested in working for the poll may initiate the process outlined below. However, due to the high volume of interest in working for the poll, we cannot guarantee regular work for every student who initiates this process.
Working at the Elon University Poll
Elon University undergraduate students conduct all of our telephone interviews on campus.
Students who are interested in becoming an interviewer should follow the steps listed below.
- Complete this interest form:
- Elon Poll Student Sign Up Form
- After you have completed this form, we will initiate a work agreement within three to five business days during polling semesters.
- Work agreements expire every year. If you have previously worked for the poll but it has been over a year, you will need to complete this form again.
- Submit Form I-9 to the Office of Human Resources
- If you have previously submitted Form I-9, proceed to Step 3.
- Otherwise, in order for your work agreement to be processed, you must have completed Form I-9 at the Office of Human Resources during your time as a student at Elon.
- If you have not completed this form before, call the Office of Human Resources (336-278-5560) to make an appointment. You will need to bring two forms of identification.
- Note: You are not permitted to work before you have completed this form.
- Accept your work agreement in OnTrack
- When your work agreement has been processed, you will receive an email with further instructions about how to complete it in OnTrack.
- Please allow at least one week from when you first completed the student sign up form (Step 1 above) for us to initiate your work agreement and for it to appear in OnTrack.
- If you have completed Steps 1 and 2, and you have waited at least one week but still do not have a work agreement in OnTrack, there may be an issue with your work agreement or work eligibility. You will receive an email informing you of the issue.
- For more information on work agreements, visit the Technology Knowledge Base.
- Wait to be contacted by the poll
- *Please be patient* and wait until you have been contacted by the poll with information about how to sign up for shifts.
- We employ over 300 student interviewers, and contact them using the elonpollsters mailing list. Once we have confirmed that you are ready to work, you will be subscribed to the elonpollsters mailing list. New student interviewers are added to the mailing list in batches, once every couple of weeks.
- To sign up for shifts, you must wait until you have been contacted by us via email.
- Shifts fill up quickly, due to the high volume of interest in working for the poll. We cannot guarantee everyone with a work agreement regular work for the poll.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who are my supervisors?
Melissa McBane will be the supervisor for your Work Agreement. If you have issues with your Time Sheet, she will be able to help.
At your shift, you are supervised by senior Polling Associates. Polling Associates offer training for new student interviewers, monitor the lab to answer questions and to ensure interview quality.
Dr. Kaye Usry, Assistant Director of the Elon Poll, oversees the day-to-day operations of the lab. If you have questions or concerns about working in the lab, she is the person to contact.
How much do I get paid?
Student interviewers at the Elon University Poll earn $10 per hour.
How do I submit my hours?
After you work a shift, you must submit your hours via OnTrack in advance of the payroll deadline for that pay period. Failure to submit accurate hours will result in delayed payment.
What time should I arrive to work?
You should arrive 15 minutes before the start of your shift to so we can sign you in and you can take your place at a station in the lab. We cannot guarantee seats in the lab, so arrive early to guarantee your own spot.
Is there any training I need to complete beforehand?
If you are new to the poll or if it has been more than a year since you conducted interviews, you will be trained by one of our Polling Associates on your very first shift. The training takes about 20 minutes. There will be time for you to ask questions before you begin making calls.
How do I sign up for shifts?
Eligible student interviewers are contacted through the elonpollsters mailing list with information about available shifts. This is the only way to sign up for shifts; you must wait until you have been contacted by us.
New student interviewers are added to the mailing list only after we have received confirmation from HR that you are ready to work. You must complete the steps listed above to be added to the mailing list and to sign up for shifts.
Shifts fill up quickly, due to the high volume of interest in working for the poll. We cannot guarantee everyone with a work agreement regular work for the poll.
What if I have any other questions?
Please contact Dr. Kaye Usry, Assistant Director of the Elon Poll.