Welcome to Elon! We are a university committed to encouraging students to be active participants in our democracy. The information on this page will help you get registered to vote so that you are ready for the next election.
Registering to Vote
Should I Register to Vote Using My Permanent Address or Campus Address?
As a college student, you can only vote in one place and will need to decide whether you will choose to vote using your permanent address or your university address, and vote in elections at that location.
Each student’s situation is different. If you’re from out-of-state, please talk with your parents/guardians and learn about any potential barriers or requirements in your home state and North Carolina by using the Campus Vote Project State Student Guides before deciding to register using your university address. This guide can also provide you with voting deadlines specific to your state.
How Do I Register to Vote?
All Elon students are strongly encouraged to use TurboVote. Most students vote by absentee ballot and enter their permanent home address in TurboVote.
What is TurboVote?
TurboVote helps students vote in every election — local, state, and national — by allowing them to register where they want to vote and by keeping them engaged with the elections in their local communities. In short, this tool:
- Helps students register to vote, either online or by paper
- Helps students vote by sending election reminders via text and/or via email – that way they can stay in touch with local elections even from away
- Helps students vote by mail via absentee ballot request forms
This tool makes voting easy through a simultaneous online voter registration and ballot request process that takes minutes to complete. Since Elon students come from across the country, this tool helps students manage voter registration deadlines and provides election reminders for all 50 states.
How Do I Obtain My Voter Registration Form Using TurboVote?
This tool guides students through the registration process. TurboVote automatically populates the student’s voter registration form and emails the student a digital copy.
Students are strongly advised to print a copy of the voter registration form and:
- Fill in their ID number, as required by state law. Based on the state, directions will be provided for this. Most often, this ID number is a driver’s license number. Students without a driver’s license, can often provide the last four digits of their social security number.
- Sign the form.
- Mail in the form prior to the voter registration deadline for their state. TurboVote will provide the address for the appropriate board of elections. You can send in your form before you head to campus in August. Alternatively, once you arrive at Elon, you can visit the Kernodle Center for Civic Life in Moseley 230 for a free stamp and envelope to send in the form.
While students can have TurboVote mail them a copy of the form to be completed, they are advised to print the form using the steps above to expedite the process.
In states that have an online voter registration option, TurboVote guides the student to that option if the student chooses and provides information on how to complete that process successfully.
How Do I Find My Campus Box Number?
All undergraduate students are assigned a campus box number. Campus box assignments for new students will be available by the end of July and can be found by logging into your OnTrack for Students account.
- Navigate to OnTrack for Students (Can also be found by going to ontrack.elon.edu and selecting “OnTrack for Students”.)
- Login using your Elon username and password.
- On the right side of the screen go to the Academic Profile section and select “My profile” or on the left side of the screen go to the Residence Life section and select “Link to MyHousing/Meal Plan System.”
Can I Use TurboVote to Request Both My Voter Registration Form and Absentee Ballot Form at the Same Time?
Yes, you can send in both forms at the same time using the steps outlined on this page.
Why Does TurboVote Ask Where Do I Receive My Mail?
On this page, you can enter your Elon campus box or off-campus apartment address to have all voting related forms and ballots sent to your university address (even if you choose to vote absentee using your permanent address).
Whom Should I Contact For Help With TurboVote?
For assistance with TurboVote, contact firstname.lastname@example.org