Students with credit balances on their student account may be eligible for a refund. Before requesting a refund, please note the following:

  • Refunds are permitted only in the event of a credit on the student account.
  • Refunds will NOT be made based upon the anticipation only of receiving loans, scholarships, or other payments.
  • Refunds will be processed in accordance with regulations related to excess funds from the disbursement of federal Title IV grants and loans.
  • If you would like for your refund to go to someone else, you must submit a written request to  Bursar’s Office specifying the recipient.
  • If you would like for your refund to be applied to the next semester charges, please contact the Bursar’s Office. Note that credit can only be held on the account during the academic year (loan period) it was awarded.
  • If you at any time do not wish to keep a refund, please send the check back (or remit payment online) along with written consent to Bursar’s Office P.O. Box 398, Elon, NC 27244.

Log in to your student account in OnTrack to request a refund.