The Student Complaint Form provides students with an avenue to submit a concern regarding any area on campus for which no other specific process exists.

This form should NOT be used to submit complaints or grievances regarding:

If a student has a complaint other than those related to Identity-based bias, Title IX, disabilities/special needs, grade appeal, or student conduct appeals, the student should:

  • Attempt to resolve the issue at the office that is the source of the complaint by speaking with a supervisor.
  • If step #1 does not result in a satisfactory resolution, the student will be instructed to submit a written complaint by filling out the online form.  A link is provided below.  Individuals without login credentials may complete the form below that does not require a login.
  • Any University staff member or administrator can also submit a form on behalf of a student.
  • A University staff person from the office of the Vice President for Student Life will then direct the information to the appropriate department to determine a course of action.
  • You will receive confirmation that your complaint was received and routed to the appropriate office within 24 hours.
  • The assigned office will communicate with you to follow up on your complaint.  This communication typically occurs within 36 hours after the assigned office has received the complaint.
  •  If you wish to appeal the resolution of or decision regarding your complaint as determined by the assigned office, you may do so by submitting an appeal to the Vice President who oversees the area assigned to your complaint.

If this is an emergency situation, please contact campus safety and police at (336) 278-5555.

If you have questions about this form or would like to speak with a staff member about your complaint, please contact Susan Lindley, Executive Assistant to the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students at (336) 278-7220 or slindley@elon.edu. Address:  2188 Campus Box, Elon University, Elon, NC 27244.

Submit a Complaint

Note: If you are having trouble logging in, please use your full Elon email address as your username.

SACSCOC – Complaint Policy and Process

Elon University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award bachelor’s and master’s degrees, the doctor of physical therapy degree and juris doctor degree.  Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Elon University.

Individuals may submit complaints to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, the University’s regional accrediting body.  In most cases, SACSCOC complaint procedures require that the complainant exhaust all other avenues to address the complaint. Prior to filing a complaint, please carefully review the SACSCOC Complaint Procedures Policy Statement.

The links below provide information on the SACSCOC complaint policy and process.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Telephone:  (404) 679-4500
SACSCOC Complaint Procedures and Complaint Form (page 7 of the document – http://sacscoc.org/app/uploads/2020/01/ComplaintPolicy-1.pdf)

State Agencies – Complaint Policies and Processes

Additionally, if you are not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint, you may choose to file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s web page regarding complaints at: http://www.ncdoj.gov/complaint (link directly to the online complaint form https://ncdoj.gov/file-a-complaint/consumer-complaint/). North Carolina residents may call (877) 566-7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call (919) 716-6000. En Español (919) 716-0058.

If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

Online and Distance Education

Elon University participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement – North Carolina (SARA-NC) (http://www.saranc.org/Approved.html).

Complaints related to Online and Distance Education may be submitted using the general complaint form on this page. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional complaint process, you may choose to file a complaint with North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA) which is the SARA portal entity for North Carolina.

North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
c/o SARA North Carolina
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
T: (855) 727-2162
Email: information@saranc.org
Website: www.saranc.org
NCSEAA (SARA-NC) Complaint Process (http://www.saranc.org/Complaint.html) 
NCSEAA (SARA-NC) Complaint Form (http://www.saranc.org/docs/SARA-NC-ComplaintForm.pdf)

Professional Licensure Programs and Disclaimer

Under SARA-NC guidelines, Elon University discloses that it does not offer any entirely (or substantially) online programs that lead to professional licensure.

Disclaimer Statement

NC-SARA does not deal with professional licensing board approval for any courses or programs leading to professional licensure. If you are not a resident of North Carolina and you are taking an online course or clinical/field placement in a program that may lead to professional licensure, Elon University recommends directly contacting the relevant program (contacts provided below) prior to beginning a course of study.   With respect to clinical or field placement, Elon University offers those in three programs that make some placements in states other than North Carolina.  For those programs (J.D., Physical Therapy Education, and Physician Assistant Studies), the general disclosures regarding professional licensure are provided below.

For questions about this disclaimer or further information about licensure, please contact the program director of the appropriate program or you may visit the websites provided for contact information for state licensure boards.

Physical Therapy Education (DPT):  Stephen Folger; folgers@elon.edu; 336.278.6347; Address:  CB 2085, Elon University, Elon, NC 27244

Contact information for state licensure boards may be found on the Federation of State Boards of Physical  Therapy site at https://www.fsbpt.org/Free-Resources/Licensing-Authorities-Contact-Information/.

Professional Licensure Disclosure:  The program has determined that its curriculum meets the state educational requirements for licensure or certification in all states, the District of Colombia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands secondary to its accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education, based on the following:

CAPTE accreditation of a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant program satisfies state educational requirements in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Thus, students graduating from CAPTE-accredited physical therapist and physical therapist assistant education programs are eligible to take the National Physical Therapy Examination and apply for licensure in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. For more information regarding state qualifications and licensure requirements, refer to the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy website at www.fsbpt.org.

Physician Assistant Studies (MS):  Melissa Murfin; mmurfin@elon.edu; 336.278.6857; Address:  CB 2087, Elon University, Elon, NC 27244.

Contact information for state licensure boards may be found on the National Commission on Certification of Physicians Assistants site at https://www.nccpa.net/stateboards/.

Professional Licensure Disclosure:  As of July 2020, all 50 states require graduation from an ARC-PA accredited program and certification following successful completion of the PANCE as conditions for initial PA licensure. By virtue of ARC accreditation, Elon University PA program offer a curriculum necessary for licensure in all 50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The program has not determined if it meets the educational requirements for licensure in Guam.

For a complete summary of initial licensure requirements in all 50 states, please see https://www.aapa.org/download/19739/.

Law (J.D.):  Luke Bierman; lbierman@elon.edu; 336.278.9201; Address:  CB 2005, Elon University, Elon, NC 27244.

Professional Licensure Disclosure:  As an ABA-accredited law school, Elon’s J.D. degree meets the educational requirements for eligibility to sit for the bar examination, which is required for professional licensure, in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  This does not guarantee that a state licensure or certification board will approve or deny your application.  This disclosure does not apply to other requirements for licensure.

Links to State Bar Associations:  State Bar Associations

Complaint Resources by State

Student Complaint Information by State and Agency

State Authorization Agencies and lead contacts_directory