Events mark Belk Library's 10th anniversary
Belk Library celebrates its 10th anniversary this week with a series of events and prizes for visitors, including nightly refreshments through Thursday and a special College Coffee with birthday cake and other celebration materials.
Events during February 8-12, 2010:
• Refreshments at 9:30 p.m. in the library Feb. 7-11
• College Coffee on Feb. 9 - Birthday cake and other celebratory materials
• Gift cards awarded Feb. 8-12 - come to the library or check the library web site, blog, or Facebook site for details
• Display of library memorabilia on the first floor of the library from Feb. 5-12
Historical Information and Stats:
• Belk Library opened January 31, 2000, and was named for Carol Grotnes Belk, of Charlotte, who was a longtime supporter of Elon with her husband, Irwin Belk.
• 75,000 square feet
• In 2000, there were 132 computers; now, there are 158
• In 2000, there were 210,000 books; now, there are more than 300,000
• In 2000, there were 0 DVDs; now, there are more than 10,000
• In 2000, there were 13 study rooms; now, there are 21
• In 2000, there were 26 online databases; now, there are 183
• The groundbreaking ceremony for Belk Library was March 11, 1998
• The library was previously located in the Iris Holt McEwen library building before moving to Belk.
• Architects were Shepley Bulfinch Richardson and Abbott Architects in Boston, Mass.