Schedule for Commencement Week 2011
Events leading up to Commencement 2011 take place this week as Elon prepares to graduate its 121st undergraduate class, its MBA and Elon Law class, and its second class in the iMedia graduate program. Activities for seniors start May 18, with a class picnic, an evening gala, receptions and dinners on the agenda.
The Rev. Andrew More O’Connor, a parish priest for Holy Family in the Bronx in New York City and founder of a nonprofit apparel line that provides a living wage to Mayan Indian weavers in Guatemala, will deliver Elon University’s 2011 Baccalaureate sermon on May 20.
Vice Adm. William E. Gortney, director of the Joint Staff at the Pentagon and the public face of the U.S. Navy during the rescue of the Maersk Alabama ship captain taken hostage by Somali pirates nearly two years ago, will deliver Elon University’s 121st Commencement address on May 21.
Events for Commencement 2011 include the following:
Wednesday, May 18
* Senior Class Picnic Lunch for graduates and Elon faculty & staff
Green behind Moseley, 12:00 noon – 2 p.m. (Rain Location: Harden Dining Hall)
* Senior Gala, McKinnon Hall, 9 p.m. – midnight.
* Interactive Media Reception for student work, 2nd Floor Powell, 5 - 7 p.m.
Thursday, May 19
* Interactive Media M.A.Graduation Ceremony, Whitley Auditorium, 7 p.m.
Reception to follow for graduates, families and guests in Studio B, McEwen Communications Building.
Friday, May 20
* ROTC Commissioning Ceremony, 11 a.m. Holt Chapel, South Campus
* Receptions for Graduates and their families hosted by faculty in Elon College and the schools of Business, Communications and Education, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.
* Elon College, The College of Arts and Sciences graduates and families – Front of Lindner Hall
(Rain location: Lindner Foyer)
* Love School of Business graduates and families – Chandler Fountain and Plaza
(Rain location: Koury Business Center, first floor)
* School of Communications graduates and families – Manfuso Plaza
(Rain location: McEwen Communications Building, Studio B)
* School of Education graduates and families – Front porch of Mooney Building
(Rain location: Mooney 111)
* Baccalaureate, Alumni Gym, Koury Center, 3 p.m.
Open to all graduates and their families. The Rev. Andrew O’Connor will deliver the Baccalaureate sermon.
* Celebration of Leaders for the Twenty-First Century and Reception, McCrary Theatre, 5 p.m.
Reception following on Fine Arts Terrace. (Rain location: Isabella Cannon Room)
* M.B.A. Graduation Ceremony, Whitley Auditorium, 7 p.m.
Reception to follow on Long Patio for graduates, families and guests. (Rain location: Second Floor, McEwen Dining Hall)
Saturday, May 21
* Continental Breakfast – Scott Plaza, 7:30 a.m.
Graduating students, families and guests are invited to a continental breakfast around Fonville Fountain.
* Commencement Under the Oaks, 9:30 a.m.
The Commencement processional will begin the formal ceremony. Family and guests should be seated by 9:15 a.m. Vice Adm. William E. Gortney ’77, director of the Joint Staff at the Pentagon, will deliver the address. Commencement concludes shortly after 11:30 a.m. followed by a reception on Scott Plaza.
(Commencement rain location: Alumni Gym. Tickets will be required for admission to the indoor ceremony. Tickets are not required for additional seating in other campus locations that televise the indoor program.)
Sunday, May 22
* School of Law Commencement, Carolina Theatre, Greensboro, 3 p.m.
Admission by ticket only. Reception to follow in Center City Park for graduates, families and guests.