1:00 pm: Welcoming Remarks
President Dr. Leo Lambert (Elon University)
Dr. Geoffrey Claussen (Elon University)
1:05-2:00 pm: Reading Genesis
- Dr. Marc Bregman (UNC-Greensboro) – “Jewish and Christian Perspectives on the Sacrifice of Isaac”
- Dr. Ellen Haskell (UNC-Greensboro) – “Contesting the Kingdom of Heaven: Rachel as Counterpart to Christ in Medieval Jewish Mysticism”
- Dr. Malachi Hacohen (Duke University) – “Jacob and Esau, Isaac and Ishmael: The Future of Jewish-Christian-Muslim Relations”
Convener: Dr. Geoffrey Claussen (Elon University)
2:15-3:00 pm: Defining Jewish Identity
- Dr. Lynn Huber (Elon University) – “‘Those Who Say That They Are Jews and Are Not’: The Function of Jewish Identity in the Book of Revelation”
- Dr. James Tabor (UNC-Charlotte) – “Who is a Jew?: A Modern Conundrum with Ancient Roots”
Convener: Dr. Michael Pregill (Elon University)
3:15-4:15 pm: Evangelical-Jewish Relations
- Dr. Shalom Goldman (Duke University), “The Use of Hebrew and Yiddish by British and American Christian Missionaries to Jews: 1870-1970”
- Dr. Yaakov Ariel (UNC-Chapel Hill) – “The Rise of Messianic Judaism”
- Dr. Motti Inbari (UNC-Pembroke) – “The Christian Zionist Response to Israeli Land for Peace Solutions”
Convener: Dr. Jason Husser (Elon University)
4:30-5:15 pm: Jewish and Christian Feminist Ritual Innovation
- Dr. Vanessa Ochs (University of Virginia)
- Dr. Diann Neu (Women's Alliance for Theology, Ethics and Ritual)
Convener: Dr. Toddie Peters (Elon University)
5:30-6:30 pm: The Future of Jewish-Christian Dialogue
- Dr. Stanley Hauerwas (Duke University)
- Dr. Peter Ochs (University of Virginia)
Convener: Dr. Jeffrey Pugh (Elon University)
Closing Remarks: Dr. Jeffrey Pugh (Elon University)
Sessions are free and open to the public. Refreshments will be available throughout the day.
Your registration using the form below will help us to plan accordingly.
Sponsored by the Elon College Fund for Excellence, the Eric and Lori Sklut Emerging Scholar in Jewish Studies Program, the Department of Religious Studies, the Department of History and Geography, the Women's/Gender Studies program, the Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual Life, and the Elon Center for the Study of Religion, Culture, and Society.
Elon joined theaters, universities and organizations across the country in participating in National Jewish Theater Foundation's 3rd Annual Holocaust Remembrance Day Play Readings
Spanish Instructor Quiqui Lang Hilgartner in the World Languages and Cultures Department tries her hand at versifying opera.
On Sunday, March 5, Elon hosted students, faculty and staff from Elon and the community for the closing of the Tournées French Film Festival: Join the Résistance!
On Sunday, Feb., Elon hosted students, faculty and staff from Elon and the community for the opening of the Tournées French Film Festival: Join the Résistance!
Religious Studies Professor Geoffrey Claussen's chapter was published in Kaddish, edited by David Birnbaum and Martin S. Cohen