Brooke Barnett (Chair) Interim Associate Provost - Inclusive Community
Charge: To provide institutional oversight for programs and policies to further a campus climate that upholds the dignity of each community member, and to oversee campus-wide response and education to acts of bias and discrimination
• Engage in periodic training on best practices in bias response programs and building a culture of understanding and respect.
• Review campus climate survey data and patterns of bias incidents on and off campus, both domestically and abroad.
• Stay abreast of the various populations that comprise the Elon community and initiate programs based on their needs.
• Review policies and grievance procedures as needed.
• Advise the Bias and Discrimination Response Coordinator on programs and initiatives.
• Prepare an annual report to the President on progress and additional ways to strengthen an inclusive learning environment.
• Monitor the diversity and global engagement strategic plan.
1) Collaborate to work on a definition of diversity and/or aspirational statement and develop a program to ensure the campus community has a basic understanding of our work around diversity and global engagement and how it relates to Elon’s core academic mission.
2) Develop a communications plan for new Bias and Discrimination policies in fall and a communications infrastructure to support the diversity strategic plan in spring.
3) Ensure that all people involved in the bias and discrimination process are fully trained, review our policies and protocols and ensure that the community understands them.
4). Explore diversity and learning. Consider plan in spring for a task force to examine initiation of diversity content in Elon’s curriculum. Support as needed the winter term diversity theme. Partner as appropriate with Academic Diversity Fellow.
5) Follow up on ADL second level type training with education team. Work with existing expertise such as DEEP, Chaplain, International week, heritage and history months and the office of disability services.
6) Assess campus climate reports and present findings to the council i.e. student and faculty and staff survey, Title IX report, report from bias and discrimination coordinator, Clearly Act report etc.
7) Create a shared planning calendar across diversity events on campus and include diversity and global engagement as a department for E-net postings related to diversity events and news on campus.