Brooke Barnett (Chair) Interim Associate Provost - Inclusive Community
Charge: To provide institutional oversight for programs and policies to further a campus climate that upholds the dignity of each community member, and to oversee campus-wide response and education to acts of bias and discrimination
• Engage in periodic training on best practices in bias response programs and building a culture of understanding and respect.
• Review campus climate survey data and patterns of bias incidents on and off campus, both domestically and abroad.
• Stay abreast of the various populations that comprise the Elon community and initiate programs based on their needs.
• Review policies and grievance procedures as needed.
• Advise the Bias and Discrimination Response Coordinator on programs and initiatives.
• Prepare an annual report to the President on progress and additional ways to strengthen an inclusive learning environment.
• Monitor the diversity and global engagement strategic plan.
1) Create action plans related to specific initiatives, programs and future plans to support Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, LGBTQ, multiracial and emerging demographic groups on campus working in partnership with existing grassroots efforts whenever possible.
2) Implement communications messaging, broad training and dialogue plans to help create a more ideal campus climate that recognizes the challenge that human difference poses to building community and actively seeks to become an institution that welcomes, supports, and respects the human dignity of each member of the community.
3) Revise protocols and definitions based on external reviewer and community feedback and then implement communications plan for Bias, Harassment and Discrimination policies and protocols.
2012-2013 Priorities and accomplishments:
1. Collaborate to work on a definition of diversity and/or aspirational statement and develop a program to ensure the campus community has a basic understanding of our work around diversity and global engagement and how it relates to Elon’s core academic mission. (Statement proposed and next year an ICC committee will engage the community in conversation around the statement)
2. Develop a communications plan for new Bias and Discrimination policies in Fall and a communications infrastructure to support the diversity strategic plan in Spring. (A communications plan was created and will be implemented in the fall)
3. Ensure that all people involved in the bias and discrimination process are fully trained, review our policies and protocols and ensure that the community understands them. (Trainings are being scheduled for summer and fall and have taken place throughout the year)
4. Explore diversity and learning. Consider plan in Spring for a task force to examine initiation of diversity content in Elon’s curriculum. Support as needed the winter term diversity theme. Partner as appropriate with Academic Diversity Fellow. (Winter term 2014 planning is already underway. A diversity in the curriculum searchable site spearheaded by Crystal Anderson will be up in the fall. We hired two consultants to work on gender and sexuality in the curriculum and are developing a concept around assessment of student learning around diversity. The third year of diversity infusion grants were funded).
5. Follow up on Anti-Defamation League (ADL) second level type training with education team. Work with existing expertise such as DEEP, Chaplain, International week, heritage and history months and the office of disability services. (Twenty-one colleagues were certified this summer to deliver the Campus of Difference Program ADL program and all its licensed material. We begin offering those workshops in August 2013).
6. Assess campus climate reports and present findings to the council, i.e. student and faculty and staff survey, Title IX report, report from bias and discrimination coordinator, Cleary Act report, etc. (The campus climate results are part of a presentation that Brooke Barnett is now sharing across campus. The council will examine other reports as they are submitted each year).