Community Borrowing Privileges

Who can borrow?

Current members of the Friends of the Library of Elon University and participants in the Triad Academic Library Association (TALA) reciprocal agreement. If your card has expired, you must renew your membership and pay any outstanding fees in order to borrow materials.

How can I become a Friend of the Library?

Simply ask to become a Friend at either the Circulation Desk or the Information Desk, and a staff member will assist you with the process. The membership fee is $25 per year.

What can be borrowed?

  • Circulating books
  • DVDs
  • Music CDs
  • VHS tapes
  • Audiobooks
  • Scores

How long are they loaned?

Most items may be checked out for thirty (30) days and may be renewed three times if not needed by another patron. The exceptions are DVDs, which may be checked out for 7 days and renewed three times, Audiobooks, which may be checked out for 2 weeks and renewed once, and scores, which may be checked out for 3 days and renewed twice. Borrowers are responsible for all library materials checked out on their account. See our circulation policy for more details.

What cannot be borrowed?

  • Kindle e-readers
  • Magazines
  • Newspapers
  • Reference Books
  • Items on Course Reserve

Is there a limit to how many items may be checked out?

While there is a formal limit of 25 items at one time (except for Audiobooks, which are limited to a maximum of two (2) at one time), we ask that all patrons be considerate of the needs of others. Library staff reserves the right to limit the number of items at any time if demand warrants.

What happens if materials are overdue?

Patrons will receive a courtesy notice and at least one overdue notice (usually via e-mail) before receiving a bill for lost items. Charges per lost item are a $50.00 replacement fee plus a non-refundable $10.00 billing fee.  All borrowing privileges are suspended until overdue materials are returned and fees paid. Community borrowers who have excessive outstanding obligations will not be eligible to renew their privileges. Serious incidents of delinquency may be referred to Campus Police for resolution.