The IACUC has authority to:
- review and approve the pedagogical and/or scientific merit of proposed animal research
- review, approve, or require modification in order to secure approval, or withhold approval of proposed research or teaching using animals,
- review the facilities and program for animal care and use, including laboratories outside of animal facilities where procedures are performed,
- review and, if warranted, investigate concerns involving the care and use of animals,
- prepare written reports of its evaluations,
- make recommendations to the Institutional Official concerning any aspect of the animal care and use program, and
- suspend any activity involving animals that does not conform to the Guide, AWR, PHS policy, and/or Elon University IACUC Policies.