Types of Articles
PURM’s unique emphasis on the processes of undergraduate research and mentoring and its wide audience creates an opportunity to expand the types of articles it publishes beyond the traditional research article.
- Dialogues – co-authored pieces written by faculty or graduate student mentors and/or undergraduate researchers that a) critically reflect upon the process, challenges, concerns associated with the evolution of a particular research project or program, or b) present a themed group discussion on an undergraduate research-relevant issue from multiple perspectives across institutions and disciplines. (Peer Reviewed)
- Student Perspectives – student-authored pieces (individual or group authored) on a specific aspect of the undergraduate research and/or mentoring experience that may be impactful for other students. (Peer Reviewed)
- Research Articles – empirical studies or literature reviews on best practices in undergraduate research and mentoring. (Peer Reviewed)
- Invited Viewpoints – editor-invited pieces by experts in the areas of undergraduate research, undergraduate research program development, undergraduate research program administration, undergraduate research mentoring, etc. (Reviewed by Editor)
Articles may be submitted for consideration at any time to firstname.lastname@example.org. Articles should be original submissions not under consideration elsewhere. To facilitate anonymous review, the names and affiliations of all authors should appear only in the title page. Please consider the following guidelines when submitting a manuscript for review:
- Use MS Word-compatible software and submit as a .doc or .docx file to email@example.com.
- Submit manuscripts in English, using language that would be understandable to an international audience.
- Include a title page listing:
- Title of the manuscript
- Full names, titles, and affiliations of all authors (in order of authorship)
- The email address, postal address, telephone number, and fax number for the corresponding author
- A brief abstract (50 words) and three to six keywords (to be used for indexing)
- Type of article included (i.e. Dialogue, Student Perspectives, Research Article, or Invited Viewpoints. See “Types of Articles” section.)
- Our preferred manuscript length is 5000-7000 words, including everything.
- Margins should be 1 inch on all sides.
- Single-space all text, using standard indents between paragraphs rather than paragraph breaks.
- Use 12-point Times New Roman font.
- Please do not use Styles for document formatting. Level 1 heading should be Bold Times New Roman, and Level 2 heading should be Italic Times New Roman.
- Use only one space after a period.
Citation and Style
All submissions should follow APA format as compiled in Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 7th Edition.
Submission of supplementary material (videos, animations, etc.) that can be linked to the manuscript, if published, is encouraged. Include URLs for such material by hyperlinking directly and on a separate page at the end of the article, after the Works Cited. Embed any images and supplementary materials directly in the manuscript file. The editors reserve the right to request separate image files during the editorial process. If requested, please submit 300dpi high quality images files (JPEG, TIFF, PNG).
Email Link to Submit
Please note that there are no publication fees when you publish in PURM.