Insurance & Risk Management maintains the University’s insurance policies. Select an option below to learn more. Questions regarding the extent of the University’s coverage can be directed to Valerie Drummond, Interim Director of Risk Management and Special Projects, at

Accident Reporting

All accidents and injuries sustained on or in university property should be reported immediately to Insurance & Risk Management. Accidents include slips, trips, falls, automobile collisions, property damage, and personal injury.

Please complete the form(s) below to the best of your ability. 

Accident Report Form – To be completed by faculty, staff, students and guests (PDF Version).

Accident Report Form (Online Submission)

Employee Bodily Injury– University policy regarding bodily injury and workers compensation.


Auto Liability/Physical Damage

What is covered?

The University maintains liability and collision coverage on all University-provided vehicles. Coverage includes bodily injury and property damage resulting from the ownership, maintenance, and use of a university vehicle.

What is not covered?

The University does not provide coverage for privately-owned vehicles. When using a privately-owned vehicle for University business purposes, the owner of the vehicle is solely responsible for providing personal insurance and coverage when using the vehicle for business purposes. In the event of an accident or incident, the owner is responsible for providing liability insurance and any deductible.

Who is covered?

Any Elon University employee, student, or volunteer driving a university vehicle at the direction of or on behalf of the University.

Driving University Vehicles

Elon University authorizes approved students, faculty, and staff to drive University-owned vehicles. Those wishing to drive a University vehicle must complete the Driver Application and meet the following criteria:

  1. Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license from the state where they reside.
  2. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to drive sedans, electric/gas carts, pickup trucks or minivans (7 passengers).
  3. Applicants must be at least 19 years of age with at least 3 years of fully licensed driving experience to drive a van with more than 7 passengers.
  4. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, have successfully completed the 12 passenger van training, and an additional road test to drive the 14 passenger (15 including the driver) mini-bus.
  5. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age with at least 5 years of driving experience and a valid CDL license to drive vehicles with 15 passengers or more.
  6. Applicants must provide their driving history for the last 5 years or consent to a Motor Vehicle Record report.
  7. Applicants understand that their application may be deferred or denied based on their driving record and the criteria set forth by the University’s insurance underwriter.
  8. Drivers of university vehicles must be insurable by the university.

Students will be removed from the approved driver list upon graduation. Drivers must report any changes to their Motor Vehicle Record within 30 days and understand that the University reserves the right to revoke driving privileges at any time. The University will revoke driving privileges for anyone who is not insurable through the University’s insurance provider.

Student drivers may not drive more than 350 miles per day. If a group or organization needs to travel further than 350 miles in one day, a second authorized, approved driver must be in the vehicle to switch off driving. It is recommended if there are two, authorized approved student drivers, that they alternate every two hours.

This insurance summary is not to be interpreted as a legal document, an insurance policy, or a guarantee of coverage by Elon University. This information is for informational purposes only and is a summary statement of coverage provided by Elon University.


General Liability

What is covered?

The University carries general liability insurance which covers third-party bodily injury and/or property damage that arises from the maintenance or operation of the University.

Who is covered?

Elon University and its employees, students, and volunteers while acting at the direction of or on behalf of Elon University.

This insurance summary is not to be interpreted as a legal document, an insurance policy or a guarantee of coverage by Elon University. This information is for informational purposes only and is a summary statement of coverage provided by Elon University.


Student Property Insurance

Student Property Insurance Program (SPIP) is offered by the University Risk Management and Insurance Association to Elon University. This program covers the personal property of individual students, faculty and staff of URMIA’s member institutions. The coverage applies whether the person is living on or off campus, including while studying abroad or away on internships, externships or other experiential academic opportunities.

What is covered?

SPIP covers personal belongings for URMIA member institution students, faculty, and staff, including but not limited to laptops, tablets, phones, textbooks, and clothing. Protection is provided for perils such as fire, water, theft, and accidental damage on a broad form basis.

How are policies purchased?

The purchase process is all administered online via the program’s website, Visitors can get free instant quotes by simply selecting their state and school from the drop-down menu.

Does a parent’s homeowner’s policy cover student property losses?

For some claims, yes. However, a majority of the personal property claims we see are related to accidental damage – dropped phones, coffee spilled on laptops, etc. In most cases, a homeowner’s policy is not going to cover this type of loss.

Another consideration is deductible. Most homeowner’s policies are structured to handle larger losses and they typically have higher deductibles. The URMIA SPIP program offers policyholders deductibles of $25, $50, or $100 per occurrence, which may make more sense for most losses to student belongings.



Request an Insurance Certificate

The University may provide an insurance certificate for proof of coverage. If you require a certificate, please fill out the following form:

Request an Insurance Certificate.