In response to the Omicron variant, the CDC has offered new recommendations regarding isolation and quarantine periods. After consulting with the Alamance County Health Department and state officials, we have revised our protocols to mitigate the spread of the virus while enabling people who are no longer contagious to safely continue their daily lives.
If You Test Positive (Isolate)
All student isolation will be managed by Elon’s Quarantine Support Staff in consultation with the local health department, who will determine when students may end isolation. The Office of Human Resources will provide guidance for faculty and staff during the isolation process.
If a member of the campus community tests positive for COVID-19, the university will notify their close contacts in accordance with its contact tracing protocol. Information about the infected person’s name or identity will not be shared with their close contacts. This information is confidential and will remain private.
In accordance with guidance from local and state officials, if you test positive for COVID-19:
- You are required to isolate for 5 days regardless of symptoms or vaccination status, and then wear a mask at all times you are around others for 5 additional days.
- Those who do not have COVID-19 symptoms and test positive for COVID-19 with an antigen test may be given a PCR test to confirm presence of the virus and should isolate pending the outcome of the PCR test.
- If your PCR test is positive, you may be released from isolation after 5 days if your symptoms are getting significantly better and you do not have a fever, but you should always continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
- Those who have COVID-19 symptoms and test positive for COVID-19 with an antigen test are considered positive and do not need a PCR test.
- You may be released from isolation after 5 days if your symptoms are getting significantly better and you do not have a fever, but you should always continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
Reporting Positive Test Results
- Students: Report positive test results from an off-campus testing facility or an approved over-the-counter/at-home test results to Student Care & Outreach by emailing email@example.com. Student Care & Outreach, Residence Life and Student Health Services will coordinate contact tracing, care, housing and health precautions.
Employees: Contact the Office of Human Resources at 336-278-5560 or HREmployeeCovid@elon.edu for guidance and to report positive test results. Human Resources will also assist faculty and staff members through the contact tracing process.
If You are a Close Contact (Quarantine)
Students identified as close contacts can learn more about Elon’s quarantine process by visiting the Student Care and Outreach website.
A close contact is someone who has been within 6 feet of a person with COVID-19 for 15 minutes in a 24-hour period (cumulatively), during the time the person was contagious. The person is presumed to have been contagious for 48 hours before developing symptoms (or the date of the positive test) and for 5 days after the start of symptoms or the positive test. Students should follow the directions of the Quarantine Support staff and faculty and staff should follow the guidance received from Human Resources.
In accordance with guidance from local and state officials, if you have close contact with someone who has COVID-19:
- You do not have to quarantine if you are fully vaccinated, including your booster shot (if eligible), or if you had a confirmed case of COVID-19 within the past 90 days. If you are not required to quarantine, you must wear a mask whenever you are around others and monitor your symptoms for 10 days.
- Please continue to be careful — wear your mask, physically distance, wash your hands and test immediately if you develop symptoms, or on Day 5 after exposure if you have no symptoms.
- You are required to quarantine for up to 5 days and wear a mask around others for an additional 5 days if you have not provided Elon with documentation of your vaccination and booster shot (if eligible), or have not given Elon confirmation of a COVID-19 diagnosis within the past 90 days.
If you develop symptoms at any time during those 10 days, you are required to test for COVID-19. Students should visit our on-campus walk-in symptomatic testing location at Ellington Center as soon as possible without seeing a health care provider. Employees should call the Faculty/Staff Wellness Clinic at (336) 278-5569. Wear a mask and physically distance from others until you have received a negative test result.