The survey of nearly 1,500 North Carolina residents explored opinions about Confederate statues and monuments displayed on public property and other Confederate symbols as well as the legacy of slavery.
A recent survey by the Elon University Poll exploring opinions about Confederate statues and monuments displayed on public property garnered extensive coverage by the media.
The survey was conducted in early November, and asked nearly 1,500 North Carolina residents for their thoughts on whether these monuments should remain on display on public property as well as their thoughts about other Confederate symbols, the legacy of slavery and other topics. The survey found that 65 percent of residents believe that the statues and monuments should remain on public property, though many supported the idea of adding plaques to provide additional context.
The full report and methodology are available here.
The issue has proved controversial around the South and in North Carolina, where the Chatham County government recently removed a Confederate monument from display in front of the county courthouse.
Local, statewide and national media reported on the results of the poll, which were released just hours after the Chatham County statue was removed. Media outlets covering the poll results included:
- New York Times – https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/20/us/pittsboro-confederate-statue.html
- Washington Post – https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nc-ban-on-removal-of-confederate-monuments-is-challenged-as-local-councils-continue-to-bring-down-statues/2019/11/29/ab45fe0a-1050-11ea-9cd7-a1becbc82f5e_story.html
- Raleigh News & Observer – https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article237555299.html#storylink=hpdigest_local
(The article also appeared in in the Charlotte Observer, The Virginian-Pilot, Richmond Post-Dispatch, Island Packet, Bakersfield Californian)
- The Burlington Times-News – https://www.thetimesnews.com/news/20191120/most-wouldnt-remove-confederate-statues-elon-university-poll-says
(The article also appeared in the Hendersonville Times-News and The Pilot of Southern Pines)
- Washington Times – https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/nov/20/confederate-monument-outside-historic-north-caroli/
- The New Republic – https://newrepublic.com/article/155862/unc-system-giving-confederate-apologists-25-million
- WRAL – https://www.wral.com/elon-poll-most-nc-residents-support-confederate-monuments-in-public-places/18780597/
- CBS17 – https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-carolina-news/majority-of-north-carolinians-want-confederate-monuments-to-stay-poll-says/
- CBS17 – https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-originals/people-have-thought-about-this-majority-of-north-carolinians-want-confederate-monuments-to-stay/
- WXII – Elon Poll: Most NC residents support keeping Confederate monuments in place
- Spectrum News – https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/triad/news/2019/11/20/elon-university-poll-on-confederate-monuments
- WBTV – https://www.wbtv.com/2019/11/21/majority-north-carolinians-want-confederate-monuments-stay-poll-says/
- The Progressive Pulse – http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2019/11/20/elon-poll-most-north-carolinians-favor-keeping-confederate-statues-even-as-they-come-down/
- IndyWeek – https://indyweek.com/news/northcarolina/confederate-monument-chatham-county-removed/
- WFDD – https://www.wfdd.org/story/elon-poll-majority-wants-confederate-monuments-remain-place
- NC News Network – http://www.ncnn.com/edit-news/10565-elon-poll-speaks-to-confederate-monument-controversy-