Having supported thousands of local students throughout the years, Elon's annual school supply drive returns on Aug. 15 and will last all of Planning Week.
For more than 10 years, Elon faculty and staff have donated thousands of needed school supplies to children of Alamance County.
This initiative began in 2011 when James Black ’09 was serving in the armed forces in Afghanistan and helped young children gain access to basic educational materials. As a community, Elon students, faculty and staff pulled together to support his efforts and recognized the leadership responsibility to “act locally” and help alleviate some of the needs in Alamance County. That original drive benefitted both children abroad and here at home.
The university is excited to continue its commitment to the local community and ask that students, faculty and staff consider donating needed supplies for students in the Alamance Burlington School System (ABSS). Last year, the ABSS Student Support Services team supported more than 530 children and families experiencing homelessness. The need is expected to be even greater this year.
Members of the Elon community are invited to participate in one of the following ways:
- Bring supplies to the President’s Address on Monday, Aug. 15, in Schar Center for the traditional “kick off” to this drive.
- Purchase and drop off supplies August 15-22 in one of the collection boxes on campus:
• Moseley Campus Center (near Young Commons entrance)
• Koury Center (concourse near Young Commons entrance)
• Belk Library (front entrance near Young Commons)
• Alamance Building (in the rotunda near room 109)
• Powell Building (at front entrance)
• Mooney Building (student lounge area)
• Lindner Hall (near room 104)
• Koury Business Center (lobby)
• Schar Hall (in Snow Family Atrium)
• Francis Center (main lobby)
• Janice Ratliff Building (in lobby)
• Ellington Center (Faculty/Staff Health and Wellness)
• Campus Store (Elon Town Center)
• Campus Safety and Police (Oaks)
• Campus Technology Services Building (near entrance)
• Business Services Building (front entrance)
• Facilities Management Building (front office)
- Purchase school supplies online and have them shipped to the Student Government Association, 2979 Campus Box, 100 Campus Drive, Elon, N.C. 27244. (They must be delivered by Aug. 22.)
- Call (336) 278-7109 if you have donations and cannot locate a drop off box. One of the SGA leaders will come pick them up.
- Law School faculty and staff members may contact Stacie Dooley, assistant dean of career & student development to arrange for the collection of donations.
While all school supplies are welcomed and appreciated, particularly new backpacks or book bags, our partners at ABSS have shared their greatest needs include:
- new backpacks or book bags (best if they can span ages and levels)
- 3-ring binders (1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3 inch)
- notebook paper (wide-ruled and college-ruled)
- composition notebooks
- pocket folders (with or without prongs)
- colored pencils
- washable markers
- flash drives (4 GB or greater)
Personal care items
- body wash
- feminine hygiene products
- hand sanitizer
- gas cards
- food cards
- Ziploc bags
- student sized-masks