Elon University School of Law’s 2020 Fall Trimester procedures and protocols support community health and wellness, keep students on schedule toward graduation within 2.5 years of matriculation, and maintain focus on admissions recruitment for the Class of 2023. New practices include limits on classroom capacity, requirements for protected personal interactions, and restrictions that will be in place through federal, state, local and Elon policies and guidelines.
Elon Law emphasizes physical distancing, mask wearing, hand washing and sanitizing, and disinfecting of common spaces and classrooms. Additional precautions include limits on the size of gatherings, building signage and enhancements to HVAC systems that circulate and filter air. Elon Law considers compliance with protocols and processes as professional expectations imposing professional obligations within the community, including those required by the Elon Law Personal & Professional Responsibility Policy and the Elon Law Honor Code.
New protocols regarding teaching, learning, mentoring and programming include:
- Mask wearing is required in the building at all times. Elon Law has provided masks for all students, faculty and staff.
- Limits on classroom capacity and requirements for personal interactions, including signage for distancing in commons areas, have been installed. A teaching schedule permits full-time, all-day, five-day-a-week use of Elon Law’s largest classrooms for the two first-year lecture-size courses as part of an in-person instruction model.
- Elon Law’s in-house clinics remain operational with modifications for remote client assistance.
- Events complementing Elon Law’s academic program, such as the Billings, Exum & Frye National Moot Court Competition and the Elon Law Review Symposium, are being hosted virtually. Events such as the Joseph M. Bryan Distinguished Leadership Lecture, advisory board meetings and alumni programming have been postponed.
- Elon Law administrators and librarians have worked with Elon University’s Teaching & Learning Technologies and the Information Technology office to identify and acquire resources to enhance and support online learning.
- Elon Law’s Office of Admissions is implementing protocols for in-person visits and tours using social distancing best practice and personal protective equipment as permitted under existing guidelines and as the school begins recruitment of the Class of 2023.