Elon University Disclosure Statement Regarding COVID-Related Circumstances [STUDENTS]
Elon University has developed plans for the 2020-2021 academic year with significant adjustments due to the COVID-19 pandemic. With guidance from public health officials, the university will continue to make decisions with the health and safety of the community as its top priority. If government directives or other circumstances related to COVID-19 require adjustments to the university’s plans, Elon may utilize a hybrid of on-campus and remote experiences or, if necessary, deliver all services remotely. Elon will inform all stakeholders as soon as possible about important changes in operations. In keeping with its mission, Elon will remain student- and learning-centered, with an emphasis on strong personal relationships among students, faculty and staff in making decisions about university operations.
Elon shares the following information with students and their families:
- Elon University cannot guarantee an environment free of COVID-19. All members of the community should understand that returning to the physical campus includes a risk of contracting the virus. Elon University is taking recommended steps to mitigate this risk and is making appropriate accommodations for students, faculty and staff who are at increased risk because of medical or behavioral conditions.
- All members of the Elon community are being called upon to do their part to minimize the risk of COVID-19 infection by adhering to applicable national, state, and local health guidelines and requirements, as well as adhering Elon University policies and procedures. These measures, which are subject to change as collective understanding of COVID-19 evolves, include the following:
- Participating in COVID-19 PCR testing (including asymptomatic testing prior to the fall semester, random asymptomatic testing throughout the year, and symptomatic testing)
- Participating in daily health self-screenings and self-temperature checks
- Following physical distancing guidelines and consenting to contact tracing and isolation/quarantining if determined necessary by medical personnel
- Wearing masks or other face coverings and using good hygiene practices
- Not reporting to class or campus if sick, and getting an annual influenza vaccine
- Limiting travel away from campus
- Staying updated on safety protocols and requirements, and campus announcements
- Elon will adopt additional measures for the safety and health of its community as it deems necessary and may take actions against students or others who fail to follow such measures. This could include removal from the campus community.
- Elon may remove individuals from campus or housing and may isolate or quarantine students and/or to close buildings if these measures are in the best interest of the campus community.
- Tuition and fees for the 2020-2021 academic year have been set and will not be changed if adjustments are made to campus operations. Tuition and fees are paid by students in exchange for learning, academic credit, and certain non-academic services that will be provided whether in person, in a hybrid environment, or entirely remotely.