Elon University Academic SupportAcademic Support

Registration Process

Registration Advisement Period

Students are expected to meet with their academic advisor to discuss and understand how their course selections meet both personal goals and their program of study requirements. Registration advisement is more productive if students arrive  with tentative course schedules and good questions. This preparation allows advisors and students to examine the wisdom of course selection with time left to discuss co-curricular involvement such as internships and study abroad, for example.  After the Registration advising conference, the advisor grants students permission to register by selecting “advisor approval” in On Track. All currently enrolled students may register using Elon OnTrack at a time (or later) established by the Registrar according to semester hours earned. Students should not miss class to register. If access begins during class time, a student should register immediately following class. The registration advisement period is minimally two weeks prior to the start of registration each fall and spring term.

Fall 2016:  Registration begins November 10, 2016

Spring 2017: Pregistration begins April 11, 2017

Registration Advising Support:  Choose ONE repeating 45 minute workshop that meets in Belk Library 205

October 20, 2016:   8:30-9:15AM  - 12:30-1:15PM  -  2:30-3:15 PM  -  4:15-5:00PM


    Scheduling the Advising Appointment

A good rule of thumb is that the registration advisement period begins once students return from Fall Break and Spring Break. Advisors across campus differ in how they set up their advising appointments. Some advisors post sign-up sheets on their office door, utilize free electronic scheduling software, or respond to email queries to arrange meeting times. Students just leaving their Elon 101 advisor should find out from their new advisor how appointment scheduling works for this new advising relationship. Prior to the start of registration, advisors are encouraged to double check their roster of advisees to be sure approval has been granted to deserving students. Students can check On Track to determine if their advisor has granted permission for online registration. When advisors forget this step, students cannot register online at their appointed time and much angst and frustration follows. This is especially troublesome to students if a delay results in one or more of their classes closing while they are frantically trying to find their advisor to gain access. Students who have procrastinated and are unable to secure an advising appointment before their access time will also be frustrated—a natural consequence of poor planning.

The Academic Support & Advising Center supports undecided students during registration. Students with declared majors, however, are expected to locate their assigned advisor for registration advice and clearance for online registration access.

Q & A for Registration Advising

1. What’s an ELR?
The ELR is an opportunity for students to develop their thinking and integrate their learning through activities outside the classroom. It is also a university requirement for graduation. Students complete the ELR through internships, practicums, co-ops, research, study abroad, approved domestic study programs, student teaching, or approved field-based courses (such courses will have an SL designation in the schedule booklet.) The ELR may also be met through service, leadership, or individualized learning experiences that are arranged PRIOR to beginning the experience and monitored by a faculty/staff member.
NOTE: Students should not have their graduation audit with Susan Patton, Assoc. Registrar, and discover they have not met this graduation requirement. Advisors, if your major does not automatically meet this requirement please remind students of this requirement (and please document that reminder for your purposes using the electronic advisor notes section in On Track).
Remember: Students entering 2013 and after are expected to complete 2-units of ELR (This does not mean 2 different ELRs. See the Elon Core Curriculum website for clarification.

2. Can any 300 - level course outside my major count in Advanced Studies?
Answer: No
. Advanced studies must come from the liberal studies courses explicitly listed in the online catalog. If in doubt, check “course type” from OnTrack by clicking on the blue course title that appears in the results of “search for sections.”

3. I took a 300-level HSS course in previous years and I’ve heard that HSS can now count in advanced studies. Is that right?
Answer: Not exactly. The Elon Core Curriculum council passed a proposal for all HSS coursework to count in the society category of the Elon core beginning fall of 2012. Any HSS 300/400-level coursework taken prior to fall of 2012 will not count in advanced

4. Can 300/400 liberal studies courses for the Advanced Studies area come from the same discipline?
Answer: Yes.

5. Can a 300-level English literature count in Expression and Advanced Studies.
Answer: No.
Courses do not double count within the Elon core any more than they double count within the major. Just as a required course in the major will not double count as a major elective, neither will required courses within the Elon core double count.  (The only exception is ELR. For example, a study abroad course may satisfy a requirement in the core curriculum and satisfy ELR.) Questions about where courses are placed on the degree audit should be addressed to Jim Donathan in Academic Advising.

6 . If I double major, do I have to take both senior seminars?
Answer: Yes.
(Two exceptions include BUS 465 and COM 495.)

7. If I am double majoring, do my advanced studies courses have to be outside both majors?
Answer: No, but there's a catch here.
Students may use 300-level courses from their second major (and/or minor) in advanced studies IF that major or minor is one of the disciplines approved for the core curriculum's arts and science courses.

8. May I take creative writing to fulfill the literature requirement in Expression?
Answer: No
. Writing courses are not the same as literature. When in doubt, check course descriptions in the catalog, course type in OnTrack or contact the English department.

9. I have been invited to join the Periclean Scholars. How will those seminars count towards my college requirements?
Year Two: GST 225 course counts in the Elon core curriculum: civilization or society
Years Three & Four: PER (Periclean) courses count as elective hours towards graduation

10. I have taken two World Languages and Cultures courses. Why is only one listed under Civilization on my degree audit?
: Only one language course will count in civilization. The second course carries elective credit towards the total graduation hours.

11. I found a Theater History and Literature course (THE 301/THE 302). Can it count for my literature? Can it count for a history in the civilization area?
Answer: No and No
. Literature courses must come from the English department, the Department of World Languages and Cultures, or specially designated GST courses occasionally offered in winter term. History courses for civilization credit must come
from the History department.

12. I am a transfer student. Do I have to take COR 110: Global Experience?
Answer: It depends.
If you brought in 18 or more transfer hours, literally hours taken at another institution, then you are exempt from COR 110. A minimum combination of AP/IB credits and institutional credits will not satisfy the 18 hour exemption rule.

13. I am a transfer student. I have 7 hours in some of the categories under liberal studies, such as expression and civilization. Do I have to have the required 8 hours in each category?
Answer: No, as long as you transferred in a minimum of 18 hours
. However, you must have enough arts and science courses to total the minimum 32 for the combined liberal studies areas of expression, civilization, society, and science/analysis. Transfer students must have a minimum of seven hours per category as stated in the catalog.

14. I started at Elon as a first year, but brought in some 3-credit courses I took at a community college while still in high school. Do I still need the minimum of 8 hours in each area: expression, civilization, society, science/analysis?
Answer: Yes.
You are not considered a transfer student because you began at Elon as a first-year student. You transferred in coursework, but you are not a transfer student. The minimum of 8 hours in each liberal studies area holds for you.

15. I took the Language Placement Test and it placed me in level 2xx (or 3xx), but I don’t feel ready for that. I want to drop down a level. Can I do that?
Answer: Maybe.
You will likely not be able to register on-line via On Track for a course above or below your placement level. You must meet with a representative (usually the department chair or specific language coordinator) of the Department of World Languages and Cultures to discuss your options. In general, you will not be permitted to drop down more than one level (i.e. if you place at 222, you may be able to drop down to 221, but no lower).

16. I am an international student fluent in my native (non-English) language and English. Am I automatically exempt from the language proficiency requirement?
Answer: Not Yet.
Language Proficiency by Experience is verified by Francois Masuka in the Isabella Cannon Global Education Center. Once it is verified, satisfaction of the language proficiency requirement can be entered into the student’s academic record.

17. Is the computerized degree audit my official graduation audit?
Answer: No.
The computerized degree audit is a helpful advising tool, but it has programming limitations that occasionally create problems for individual students. Official graduation audits are conducted in the registrar’s office upon filing for graduation. This is stated on the degree audit. Questions regarding the degree audit should be addressed to Jim Donathan in Academic Advising. When in doubt, always contact either Academic Advising or the Registrar’s Office.

18. I'm participating in Global Engagement (Study Abroad or Study USA) this semester. How do I preregister for my

Information from the Global Education Center (GEC):
1.  Students who are currently on a Study Abroad or Study USA semester program will be granted access in OnTrack by the Office of the University Registrar. Academic Advisors need not “toggle” advisees who are abroad or on Study USA programs for the semester.
2. Students studying at Elon Center programs abroad in Florence and Study USA are enrolled in Elon catalogue courses which show up on their degree audits.
3.  Students at the Elon Center in London, San Jose and Shanghai are not registered for specific courses at Elon (except for the COR seminar taught by the Elon faculty). Students on Elon affiliate and exchange programs, and students on non-Elon programs, are not registered for specific courses at Elon. The courses for these will post after they return to campus. Course equivalencies for the courses they are taking were determined prior to departure and the students’ should have a copy of the completed and signed Course Request Form available to them in their Elon Abroad on-line application. If a student on one of these programs is enrolled in a prerequisite course for one of their winter/spring/summer/fall classes, the student will simply need to follow the email instructions sent to the student, by the GEC, two weeks prior to registration.
4.  Students who are on a study abroad or Study USA program and have questions regarding course planning and degree requirements should contact their academic advisors. The Elon faculty on-site in Florence, LA, London, New York, San José and Shanghai are also available to assist students.

19. I am studying abroad next semester. Do I still go through registration at Elon? Do you still have to “toggle” me?
Answer: No and No.
If students have followed all the proper directions from the Isabella Cannon Global Education Center, they will be registered by the center into a place holder for their particular program or into Elon catalog courses. This is true for Elon Centers, affiliates, and exchange programs. The registration process for the actual courses abroad varies by programs. The GEC and host programs will guide students through that process. Students who have chosen non-Elon programs must depend on that host institution for information regarding course registration.

20. I am thinking of studying abroad or participating on a Study USA program soon. How should I begin planning?
The first step to planning for a study abroad/study away program is to attend a Global Engagement Planning Workshop. Check the GEC website for times and locations.

21. I’ve completed my lab science requirement for the core curriculum. How do I find coursework for my non-lab science requirement?
Answer: What!?!
There’s no such thing as a non-lab science requirement. To complete the science/analysis section after the lab science requirement is met, students may take an additional math/statistics beyond the first-year foundation OR approved offerings from the department of computer science OR another lab science OR a science course without a lab component.

22. I’ve heard that ESS can now count in Elon Core Curriculum. Is that true?
Check "course types" in Elon OnTrack to see how individual courses count in the Elon Core Curriculum. Beginning in fall 2013, some ESS courses count in Advanced Studies (not ESS 315) and some also count in the Science category. This is not
retroactive for ESS courses taken prior to fall 2013. As always, Advanced Studies must be outside the major (exception applies if double major and at least one major is from Studies in the Arts & Sciences).

The Advising Center works with schools, departments, and the registrar in hopes of providing accurate information, so please call if this list needs clarity, 336-278-6500.