Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What if I lose my Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina group health insurance card?

A. Call Customer Service toll-free, at 1-877-275-9787, give the representative your member number and request that new cards be sent to your home address.

Q. What if I lose my group health insurance card and I have to go to a doctor before a new card is issued?

A. If you are on Elon's health insurance plan, give the doctor/facility the following information:

Carrier:  Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, P.O. Box 35, Durham, NC 27702-0035

Member Number:  Your Social Security Number (if you do not have your member number)

Elon's Group Number:  012453

Verification Number:  toll-free, at 1-877-275-9787

Q. Do I have to be referred by a primary care physician to a specialist If on Elon's health insurance plan?

A. No. You may go to a specialist without seeing a primary care physician. In order to receive the highest level of coverage; always seek an in-network specialist.

Q. How can I view my health insurance information and claims history online with Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina?

A. The BCBSNC Member Services website offers participating faculty and staff a way to manage medical benefits in an organized and efficient way. Signing up for BCBSNC Member Services will give members access to:

  • View plan benefits to see how the plan will cover a particular service
  • Review explanation of benefits to understand what the plan paid and what is the member’s responsibility
  • Understand out-of-pocket expenditures and see how much has been applied toward the annual deductible and co-insurance in that plan year
  • Request a new ID card
  • Find in-network doctors
  • Take advantage of mobile offerings

1. Go to
2. Under the Members section, select “Register Now.”
3. Enter the BCBSNC member ID number (found on the BCBSNC member ID card).
4. Answer the questions on the screen, and set up a username and password.

Q. How can I order prescription drugs by mail?

A. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina mail order prescription program is provided through PrimeMail, which offers you the convenience of receiving up to a 90-day supply of medication delivered to you with free standard shipping.

Q.  How do I get an AFLAC claim form?

A. AFLAC claim forms are available online. Policyholders can download a PDF version of the appropriate claim form using the Adobe Acrobat  Policyholders can also request claim forms and instruction sheets by calling Customer Service toll-free, at 1-800-99-AFLAC (1-800-992-3522). Upon receipt of the policyholder's request, an AFLAC customer service specialist will verify any additional information necessary (e.g., hospital bills, itemized statements) to complete the claim.

Q. What is AFLAC's mailing address?

A. AFLAC's mailing address is 1932 Wynnton Road, Columbus, GA 31999. Claims may also be faxed to AFLAC at 1-877-44-AFLAC (1-877-442-3522).

Q. How do I file for a Wellness Benefit with AFLAC?

A. To file a claim for a Wellness Benefit with AFLAC, mail a copy of the physician's bill for the test (e.g., pap smear, mammogram) to AFLAC. Please be sure to print your policy number and the words "WELLNESS BENEFIT" on the top of the physician's bill.  If you do not know you policy number you may contact AFLAC at Customer Service toll-free, at 1-877-44-AFLAC (1-877-442-3522) or you may view your account information online at

Q. What are the AFLAC policy benefits?

A.  AFLAC claims specialists have access to actual policies that show the benefits. Benefits may vary according to policy type and state of issue. Claimants may contact an AFLAC claims specialist toll-free, at 1-800-99-AFLAC (1-800-992-3522) or you may view your account information online at

Q. Where is the nearest AFLAC Representative? How do I get an agent to contact me?

A.  You may contact the AFLAC Representative, Brandon Harvey at 336-991-4590 or for information.

Q. How can I submit my FLEX Medical and Dependent Care reimbursement forms to Flores and Associates?

A. Flores and Associatesoffers advantages in how employees can view as well as manage their Medical and Dependent Care flexible spending accounts (FSAs).  Call Flores Customer Service, toll-free, at 1-800-532-3327, weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. eastern time.

Q. What is the deadline for changing one's TIAA deduction in a given month?

A. The Office of Human Resources must receive your new Agreement for Salary Reduction form no later than the 10th of the month in order to meet payroll deadlines. You may view access the Agreement for Salary Reduction forms and additional resources regarding your account information online. TIAA Employee Resources

Q. How do I change my TIAA fund allocations?

A. Call TIAA Customer Service toll-free, at 1-800-842-2776 and specify fund allocation changes or you may view access additional resources regarding your account information online. TIAA Employee Resources

Q.  How do I qualify as an Elon retiree and what benefits are available to retirees?

A.  You must be at least 59.5 years of age, and have 10 years of service. Please reference the Retiree Checklist. Additional retiree information and resources: Retired Employees

Q. How do I change my home address?

A. Faculty and staff members that have a change in address should complete the Employee Information Change Form and either submit the form electronically or send it to the Office of Human Resoucres, 2070 Campus Box.

Q. What if I have a change in status? 

A. Faculty and Staff members that experience a change in status/qualifying event are able to make changes to their health plan elections within30 days of that event. You may access additional resources regarding Change in Status/Qualifying Events online. Employees should notify the Office of Human Resources and complete the necessary life status change paperwork. 

Q. What if I have a name change? 

A. Faculty and Staff members that experience a name change should complete the Employee Information Change Formand submit it to the Office of Human Resources. Employees are legally required for payroll purposes to provide an updated Social Security Card to the Office of Human Resources. Please do not send copies of your Social Security Card through the campus mail.

Q.  How do I change beneficiaries for life insurance?

A. Complete the Beneficiary Designation Form and submit the form to the Office of Human Resources, 2070 Campus Box.

Q. How do I change retirement plan beneficiaries through TIAA?

A. Complete the TIAA Beneficiary Change Form, reading the information on the first three pages of the packet. Mail the form to TIAA, 730 Third Avenue, New York, NY  10017-3206.  Call TIAA Customer Service toll-free, at 1-800-842-2776 if questions.