One of the nation’s finest learning environments for communications
Elon University’s School of Communications dedicated new facilities in March, providing students with a learning-centered environment and the latest technological resources on par with professional communications settings.
The school’s new quad brings together 1,240 students and 60 faculty members in four adjoining buildings creating a 105,000-square-foot learning laboratory. The new facilities were made possible through the gifts of more than 40 families.
What makes the Elon School of Communications different is that I can learn something new in the morning and put it into practice the same afternoon. Our facilities allow us to push the envelope every day. By the time we graduate, we're unstoppable.
Dwight C. Schar Hall
A two-story centerpiece for the new communications campus
- Turner Theatre – A 220-seat movie theater with a Christie Digital Cinema projection system and surround sound
- Kanarick Media Sandbox – A collaborative space promoting student innovation
- Student engagement suites, flexible classrooms, faculty offices
- Headquarters of Live Oak Communications, a student-run strategic communications agency
Snow Family Grand Atrium
- A 5,000-square-foot, two-story glass community space that includes a 1.3-million-pixel video screen
- Home of the internationally recognized Imagining the Internet Center
- Media analytics lab and social media tracking software
- Jane and Brian Williams Studio – a versatile broadcast center with all-LED lighting, HD cameras, flexible sets and exterior windows opening onto Citrone Plaza, a new streetscape in downtown Elon
- Virtual Studio with a green hard-wall cyclorama for video compositing and a white infinity wall
- Two HD-SDI control rooms with matching equipment, including a Ross Carbonite Black 2 ME video production switcher, a Ross Xpression motion graphics and video playback system and a Wheatstone 48-channel audio mixing console
- Converged student newsroom – headquarters for the multiplatform Elon News Network
- 19-room video editing suite networked to an Avid NEXIS server and linked to the studio control rooms
- HD audio recording studio with three Pro Tools control rooms and two performance stages
- New studios for WSOE/FM/Streaming radio with 24-hour automation and audio-over-IP
- Student Internship and Career Center