The Diversity Course Database (DCD) was developed in response to requests by students, faculty, and staff for a resource to identify diversity-related courses at Elon University. Unlike a list, the DCD identifies courses according to the way they address diversity using the following seven dimensions of diversity:
- RACE, including race, ethnicity, and national cultures
- CLASS, including social and economic class, as well as inequity and power relations
- GENDER, including gender issues, gender roles, gender identity, and women's studies
- SEXUAL ORIENTATION, including sexual identity, human sexuality, and LGBTQI studies
- RELIGION, including religion, spirituality, secularism, and belief systems
- ABILITY, including ability, access, and disability rights
- GLOBAL, including nationality, globalization, and international dynamics
The DCD works to reflect an intersectional engagement and framing of the dimensions of diversity in the assessment of included courses. Users can search for courses by diversity-related content or student learning outcomes. Because the DCD contains courses from the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Communications, Love School of Business and School of Education, faculty, staff, and students may use the DCD as a resource for advising and planning. Departments may use it to ascertain and develop their own curricular diversity needs.
Submit a Course
If you have a course that you believe should be a part of this DCD please use the following form to submit it:
How to Navigate the Diversity Course Database
Users may see a course description and, where applicable, student learning outcomes, for any course by clicking on the course name.
Users may navigate the DCD two ways:
- BROWSE: Use the arrows at the bottom to browse courses in the entire database.
- FILTER: Users may filter results by Department and/or Content:
- Department: Hover over the top of the Department column and click on the arrow. A drop-down menu will appear and users can select a department. For example, if a user wanted to see all courses in the English department, simply choose ENG from the drop-down menu.
- Content: Hover over the top of the Content column and click on the arrow. A drop-down menu will appear and users can select a dimension of diversity. For example, if a user wanted to see all courses with ability as a dimension of diversity, simply choose ABILITY from the drop-down menu.
- Users can also filter by Department and Content. For example, if a user wanted to see English courses where race is one of the dimensions of diversity in course content, select ENG from the Department drop-down menu and RACE from the Content menu. Courses meeting both criteria will appear.
- To return the Database to the Browse view with all courses, deselect the filters.