North Carolina A&T State University and Elon University
Joint REU in Mathematical Biology
May 30th, 2023 through July 21, 2023
The 2023 NCA&T/Elon Joint REU Program will be held virtually this summer.
Overview: The 2023 North Carolina A&T State University and Elon University Joint REU in Mathematical Biology will be an 8-week virtual summer program in which 6-8 undergraduate participants will conduct research on a variety of topics within the field of mathematical biology in small groups of two to three students. A team of faculty members from both host institutions will be involved with the planning and execution of the REU program. The primary objective of the program is to provide students an opportunity to conduct and present research with a diverse group of peers. Students will be recruited from a variety of institutions, including those with similar demographics to the host institutions. A heavy emphasis will be placed on recruiting students from underrepresented minorities, women, and individuals whose home institution have limited research opportunities in STEM (including community colleges and advanced high schools). At the conclusion of the summer program, each participant will have produced an oral presentation, a poster, and a manuscript. Participants will be encouraged to present their research at regional and national conferences, and to submit their manuscripts for publication in appropriate peer-reviewed journals.
Each year, participants in this REU program will conduct research at the interface of mathematics and biology under the guidance of a group of dedicated faculty mentors. Research topics are drawn from a variety of fields, including pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, epidemiological and ecological modeling, and biostatistics. A variety of modeling techniques will be employed, including differential equations modeling, agent-based modeling, stochastic equations, and regression analysis. Through participation in the REU program, participants will improve their oral and written communication skills, gain exposure to higher level proof-based mathematical topics, learn how to use software that is commonly used in mathematical research (such as MATLAB, LaTeX, and R), and participate in a variety of workshops aimed at career preparation and professional development. Through participation in the REU, students will have regular meetings with a faculty research mentor. Students will give a weekly “work in progress” presentation, and twice a week, they will attend a mathematical proof course. Participation in the REU program will help students to be better prepared for graduate school or a career in the mathematical sciences. Results from the research conducted as a part of the program, and experiences from the planning and execution of the program will be disseminated through conference presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
- Eligibility: The North Carolina A&T State University and Elon University Joint REU in Mathematical Biology is open to undergraduate students (or advanced high school students) majoring in mathematics or a closely related field. Participants in the program must be USA citizens or hold permanent resident status. Applicants should have completed at least two semesters of calculus prior to the beginning of the program.
- Award: Participants in the REU program will receive:
- $5000 Stipend for the program
- Application: To submit a complete application, send the following application materials via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application Form: Applicants can download and e-mail a physical application, or you can fill out and submit an online application.
- Two letters of recommendation (one of which should be written by a mathematics or statistics instructor). Letters may be sent directly from the individuals who are writing the letters.
- An essay of 250-500 words describing your research interests, educational interests, and professional plans.
- An academic transcript (unofficial or official).
Review of Applications will begin on February 13, 2023
- Questions: If you have specific questions about the program or application process, please contact Dr. Nicholas Luke (email@example.com) or Dr. Karen Yokley (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Program Flyer: Download a copy of the REU program flyer.
Disclaimer: Information presented on this website is provided solely by the Principal Investigators of the REU program. The content of this website does not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or policies of North Carolina A&T State University or Elon University.