The Elon PA program participates in the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). All applicants applying for the class of 2023 entering January 2022 will apply online using the CASPA application. To apply, visit caspa.liaisoncas.com.
Deadline Schedule for the Class of 2023 (enrolling January 2022)
Final Application Deadline: November 1, 2020
Elon downloads applications from CASPA from June through early spring each year. The admissions committee reviews applications from September through early spring, when final interviews are conducted. Most interview offers are extended via email by mid-December.
The Elon PA program accepts applications on a modified rolling basis so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Interviews are a requirement for admission. About 130 of the most qualified applicants will be invited to campus for an interview with the PA faculty. Interview dates are forthcoming.
Completed applications submitted to CASPA must include the following:
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies
- Three letters of recommendation (sent to CASPA)
- Official GRE scores (Elon’s CASPA code is 0398.)
- Note: Applicants are not required to self-report GRE scores via CASPA.
Elon does not have a supplemental application.
Tracking your Elon application status
The Office of Graduate Admissions downloads new applications from CASPA once per week beginning in late June each year. Within two weeks of application download, Elon will email each applicant their login information. It is the applicant’s responsibility to review the progress of his/her application by monitoring his/her status page. IMPORTANT: A status page is only available after our office downloads your application from CASPA.
For evaluation, all documents must be received. If you have any questions about missing documents, please contact CASPA first. After speaking with CASPA, if you still have questions, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at (336) 278-7600 or email@example.com.
Admission to the Elon PA program is highly competitive. Each application is evaluated on its own merits. Admission decisions are based on all academic work (including undergraduate GPA and science GPA), GRE scores, letters of recommendation, interview scores, patient care experience, demonstrated service and leadership ability. Motivation, maturity, interpersonal skills, knowledge of the PA profession and the healthcare system and the mission of the Elon PA program are also considered. View the class profile to see the average GPA, GRE, health care hours and more.
Evidence of an earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college* or university or date when degree is expected.
- Minimum GPA of 3.2 for undergraduate work (3.69 average)
- Minimum Overall Science GPA of 3.0 for undergraduate work (3.62 average)
*Each applicant must complete a bachelor’s degree in the United States from a regionally accredited college or university. International degrees that have been evaluated as United States equivalent will not fulfill this requirement. All prerequisites must be completed at a regionally accredited college or university.
Completion of prerequisite courses:
Elon requires 6 science courses and one non-science course. Grades of ‘C’ or better are required in each prerequisite course. No prerequisite course may be taken on a “pass/no pass” or “credit/no credit” basis*. All prerequisites must be completed at a regionally accredited college or university. Coursework from community college or online institutions can be accepted.
*The admissions committee will accept Pass/Fail coursework for the following semesters only: spring 2020, summer 2020. No additional documentation is required.
Five of the six science courses must be complete at the time of application. For the 2020-21 application cycle, each science prerequisite course must be taken in 2012 or later.
- Human Anatomy & Human Physiology: one full academic year (a minimum of seven semester hours). This requirement may be met by taking either: one semester of Anatomy (with lab) and one semester of Physiology (lab preferred but not required), or two semesters of Anatomy and Physiology combined.
- General Chemistry with Lab (4 semester hours)
- Additional Chemistry with Lab (4 semester hours)
- Microbiology (3 semester hours)
- 1 Upper Level Science (3 semester hours): Examples include, but are not limited, to biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, exercise physiology, genetics, immunology and organic chemistry.
The non-science course does not have a time limit.
- 1 Psychology Course (3 semester hours): It is preferred that this course is from the psychology department, but an upper level course from another department may be acceptable.
Official Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) scores taken within the last 5 years.
A minimum score of 297 on the GRE is required for a composite Verbal and Quantitative score. A minimum of 3.0 is required for Analytical Writing score. (Average: 156 Verbal, 155 Quantitative, 4.0 Writing)
Elon accepts official scores via the GRE General Test at Home option.
Note: Elon’s CASPA GRE code is 0398.
Volunteer or Work Experience in a Health Care Setting
Minimum of 500 hours volunteer or work experience in a health care setting with at least 20 of these hours spent observing a physician assistant. (1,000 hours recommended; 3,230 hours average)
Note: the 20 hours observing a physician assistant must be complete at the time of application
Preference will be given to candidates who have direct patient care experiences that required a prior period of training based on the length/rigor of the required training. In addition, preference will be given to candidates who have completed greater numbers of healthcare experience hours.
Three Letters of Recommendation
Three recommendation letters are required, including one from a Physician Assistant or other healthcare provider; and two others. The admission committee has no preference of the two “other” recommendation letters and will accept two from the same category (such as 2 professors). Acceptable references include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following list:
- Physician Assistant or Healthcare provider (required)
- Other (choose 2): PA, health care provider (physician, NP, PT, ATC, etc.), supervisor during healthcare hours, professional supervisor, professor from any subject, academic or research adviser, coach
For examples of recommendation letter submissions, please see our Admissions FAQ.
Must be able to meet the Essential Function Requirements of Physician Assistant Studies at Elon University.
A satisfactory national background check, at the student’s expense, is required prior to matriculation.