Annual Division Awards
In 2017-2018, the Division of Student Life Awards were restructured to better reflect the current work of the division and to increase recognition of individuals’ contributions regardless of position. Due to COVID-19, awards were not given out in 2021.
Academic Partnership Award
Presented annually to a Student Life professional and department who have worked closely with academic partners to design a program or service that purposefully integrates curricular and co-curricular experiences or connects social and intellectual activities in an intentional manner.
2022 | Department, Gender & LGBTQIA Center
2022 | Individual, Melanie Bullock Harris
2020 | Department, Changemaker Advisory Committee
2020 | Individual, Charlotte Williams
2019 | Department, Campus Recreation and Wellness
2019 | Individual, Aliana Harrison
2018 | Department, Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual Life
2018 | Individual, Bob Frigo
Presented annually to a department and an individual who have excelled in forming partnerships within and/or outside the Division of Student Life to advance priorities of the division and/or university and enhance the student experience.
2022 | Department, Campus Recreation & Outreach
2022 | Individual, Jenni Spangenberg
2020 | Department, Student Care and Outreach
2020 | Individual, Trianne Smith
2019 | Department, Center for Leadership
2019 | Individual, Whitney Gregory
2018 | Department, Gender & LGBTQIA Center
2018 | Individual, Jackie Allred
Inclusive Excellence Award
Presented to a Student Life professional and department who have demonstrated commitment to fostering a positive campus climate and community through the advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
2022 | Department, Equity Audit Work Group
2022 | Individual, Betsy Polk
2020 | Department, Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual Life
2020 | Individual, Detric Robinson-Miller
2019 | Department, Residence Life
2019 | Individual, Diana Prieto Viñas
2018 | Department, New Student and Transition Programs
2018 | Individual, Kaila Price
Presented to a Student Life professional and program that have developed programs, services, or ways of working that are new, unique, or forge new pathways in supporting our divisional mission and goals.
2022 | Department, New Student Programs
2022 | Individual, Callie Kelly
2020 | Department, Campus Recreation and Wellness & Counseling Services
2020 | Individual, Sarah Williams
2019 | Department, Counseling Services
2019 | Individual, Jenny Ciesiulka
2018 | Department, Professional Development Committee
2018 | Individual, Chris Jamison
Presented annually to a Student Life professional who is an exceptional mentor to students, engaging with them in purposeful student development activities.
2022 | Nicole Bergen
2020 | Becca Bishopric Patterson
2019 | Susan Lindley
2018 | Sylvia Muñoz
New Professional Award
Presented to an individual serving in their first or second year at Elon, who exhibits exceptional ability and commitment to work a Student Life professional.
2022 | Jordan Buie
2020 | Harry Titus
2019 | Kyle Anderson
2018 | Samantha Murray
Professional Achievement Award
Presented to an individual who has made a significant contribution to the student affairs profession.
2022 | Jenny Larson
2020 | Jan Fuller
2019 | Matthew Antonio Bosch
2018 | Larry Mellinger
New Professional Award
Presented every other year to person serving in their first or second year at Elon who exhibits exceptional ability and commitment to being a Student Life professional.
2017 | Carrie Seigler, Multi-faith and Intern Coordinator
2016 | Diana Abrahams, Multi-faith and Intern Coordinator
2015 | Matthew Antonio Bosch, Director of the Gender and LGBTQIA Center
2014 | Debbie Norris, Associate Director of Campus Recreation
2013 | Evan Small, Special Programs Coordinator, Kernodle Center
2012 | Katie Hight, Director of New Student Programs
2011 | Karley Counts, Assistant Director of Campus Recreation
2008 | Phil Smith, Assistant Chaplain and Director of Religious Life
2006 | Meghan Dillon, Assistant Director for Campus Recreation
Professional Development Award
Presented annually to a staff member (exempt or non-exempt) who has made a singular advance in professional growth.
2017 | Dana Pursley, Associate Director of the Center for Leadership
2016 | Stacey Rusterholz, Campus Kitchen Coordinator and Assistant to the Director of the Center for Leadership
2015 | Evan Small, Assistant Director of Kernodle Center for Civic Life
2014 | Nolan Patouillet, Assistant Director of Residence Life
2013 | Susan Holt, Program Assistant for East Area
2012 | Dr. Jana Lynn Patterson, Assistant Vice President for Student Life
2011 | Bruce Nelson, Director of Counseling
2010 | MarQuita Barker, Assistant Director of Residence Life, Danieley Center
2009 | Becca McQueen, Assistant Director of Residence Life, Danieley Center
2008 | Carrie Ryan, Assistant Director of Residence Life for Operations and Information Management
2006 | Jerrid Freeman, Associate Director of Residence Life Operations
Student Advocate Award
Presented annually to a staff member who is an exceptional mentor to students, engaging with them in purposeful student development activities.
2017 | Reiney Lin, Assistant Director for the Center for Race, Ethnicity, and Diversity Education
2016 | Jamie Butler, Assistant Director of the Center for Race, Ethnicity, and Diversity Education
2015 | Adam Bell, Assistant Director of Student Activities
2014 | Angel Garcia, Assistant Director Residence Life and Assistant Director of the Multicultural Center
2013 | Peter Tulchinsky, Director of Campus Recreation
2012 | TJ Bowie, Assistant Director of Residence Life
2011 | Brian O’Shea, Assistant to the Vice President of Student Life and Dean of Students
2009 | Paula Zachary, Program Assistant for Judicial Affairs
2008 | L’Tanya Richmond, Director of the Multicultural Center
2006 | Angela Passarelli, Director of the Center for Leadership
Administrative Excellence Award
Presented annually to a program assistant who has gone above and beyond in terms of their dedication to customer service, professionalism, and dedication to the population they serve.
2017 | Margie Watkins, Program Assistant Fraternity and Sorority Life
2016 | Felicia Massey, Program Assistant Student Development
2015 | Nicole Bergen, Program Assistant for Campus Recreation
2014 | Susan Lindley, Executive Assistant to the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students
2013 | Jan Register, Program Assistant Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual Life
2012 | Libby Otos, Program Assistant Kernodle Center for Civic Life
Commitment to the Division of Student Life Award
Presented annually to a staff member who has gone above and beyond for their job duties by supporting their own as well as other departments, attending divisional programs and events, and offering their assistance where needed.
2017 | Cristina Vega, Community Director Residence Life
2016 | MarQuita Barker, Associate Director of Residence Life Operations and Information Management
2015 | Brandon MacCallum, Assistant Director of Campus Recreation
2014 | Jaimie Biermann, Assistant Director of Residence Life
The Collaboration Award
Presented jointly to the division programs excelling in forming partnerships within and/or outside the division to advance student development.
2017 | Fraternity and Sorority Life with Health Promotions-Social Event Manager Training
2016 | Campus Recreation and Health Promotion for Love Your Body Week
2015 | Kernodle Center for Civic Life, Center for Leadership, New Student and Transition Programs, Residence Life, and the Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual Life for Stop Hunger Now
2014 | Kernodle Center for Civic Life
2013 | Office of Student Activities
2012 | Center for Leadership and Multicultural Center for Intersect 2012 Conference
2009 | Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service
2008 | Residence Life, Greek Life and Physical Plant for Powerless and Recyclemania competitions
2006 | The Office of Greek Life
The Diversity and Global Engagement Award
presented to the division department or program that shows commitment to the first theme of the Elon Commitment – An unprecedented university commitment to diversity and global engagement.
2017 | Muslim Life
2016 | The Gap Program
2015 | The Center for Race, Ethnicity, and Diversity Education (CREDE)
2014 | Hillel
2013 | Kernodle Center for Civic Life
2012 | Elizabeth Nelson, Associate Director of Health Promotions & Coordinator for Inter-personal Relations and Community Wellbeing
2011 | Richard Baker, Assistant Director of Residence Life, West Area
2008 | Pride Week
2006 | The Kernodle Center for Civic Life
The Innovation Award
Presented to the division program that breaks new ground in serving and/or further developing the growth of students.
2017 | Launch of Phoenix Connect, Jenny Ciesiulka
2016 | Ripple Interfaith Conference, Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual Life
2015 | Mindfullness, Jennifer Brigmann and Joel Harter
2014 | Battleship, Campus Recreation
2013 | LEAD Program, Steve Mencarini
2012 | Gap Semester Program, Steve Morrison
2011 | Laser Tag Tournament, Bobby Dunlap and Karley Counts
2009 | Greek Leaders Retreat
2008 | Office of Residence Life
2006 | Office of Residence Life
Dean’s Commendation Awards
Presented at the discretion of the Vice President for Student Life & Dean of Students to individuals or programs that exemplify the core values and advance the mission of the Student Life Division.
- Anita Smith – Grace Under Fire Award
- Joel Harter and Diana Abrahams – Bailing Water Award
- Tammy Hill and Kyle Whitaker – Answering the Call Award
- Jordan King – Silent Warrior Award
- Jenny Ciesiulka – The Magician Award
- Joel Harter, for his ubiquitous and caring presence at important moments for our community.
- Sylvia Muñoz, for the depth of her caring and her calming spirit in crisis.
- Jessica Clark, for her professionalism and commitment to students who are survivors of Interpersonal Violence.
- Debbie Norris, Brandon MacCallum, Alison Poliseno, Nicole Bergen, and Campus Recreation Student Staff, for their resilient spirit and a can-do attitudes.
- Mary Morrison, leading the campus wide deliberative dialogue.
- Whitney Gregory and Bruce Nelson, for always being a phone call away when students are in need.
- Janis Baughman and Adam Bell, for the success of the reworked tailgating setup.
- Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual Life Staff,, Well adjusted award for moving to multiple spaces around campus.
- Steve Morrison, Miles from nowhere for completing a successful first year of the GAP program.
- Jana Lynn Patterson,for boldy going where no one has gone before with Health Services’ new space.
- Henry Walling, for boldly going where no one has gone before with implementing S.P.A.C.E.S.
- Nancy Luberoff, for making a lot happen out of a little.
- Phil Smith, for always providing excellent response as A.O.C., Cl.O.C, D.O.R., and S.A.O.C.
2011 Award Winners
- Brian Collins and Melissa Jordan for going the extra mile to transport students to the funeral of a classmate.
- Lauren Flinn and TJ Bowie through thick and thin.
- Michelle Kusel for making the division proud with her research and publications.
- Danny Glassman for his constant positive attitude and utmost professionalism through any situation.
- Whitney Pack for overcoming adversity and working to uphold the high standards of Judicial Affairs through tough times.
- Lauren Martin for securing federal funding in excess of $200,000 for the work of the Office of Substance Education.
- Michael Williams, Jay Anhorn, Janis Baughman, Paula Zachary, Sarah Barnes, and Clifton Johnson Spirit of the Phoenix.
- Bruce Nelson and Clifton Johnson for responding quickly and effectively to events both on campus and abroad.
- Peter Tulchinsky for increasing campus recreation participation across the board with five fewer playing fields.
- Joette Boone for persistence to achieve academic excellence under challenging circumstances.
- Jeanette Drake for excellence in adapting to her surroundings and taking on any role necessary to keep the department operating.
- JJ Scott for organizing, facilitating and participating in 10 Hurricane Katrina awareness service trips over the last two years.
- Melissa Jordan and Susan Lindley for overcoming extraordinary circumstances to provide the highest customer service to the hundreds of Oaks residents delayed by construction.
- Phil Smith for always being available, present and an invaluable resource for students no matter the place or time.
- Amy Jones for Student Involvement through successful campus concerts.
- Carol Oakley for Teamwork with multiple university functions.
- Janis Baughman for service “Beyond the Call of Duty” in Student Activities and the Moseley Center
- Carrie Ryan for doing “Whatever It Takes” as Administrator on Call.
- Deborah Murphy for “Baptism by Fire” serving as Counselor on Call.
- Michael Williams for “Sticking to the Knitting” in making sure that the Moseley Center serves the need of the entire campus.