Funds for faculty stipends are awarded directly to an applicant, and will be included in one or more monthly paychecks. (This funding is considered income and is subject to taxes.)
Faculty Research & Development Summer Fellowships
- Funding group: Faculty Research & Development Committee
- Eligible to apply: Faculty on full-time, permanent teaching faculty contracts who have served the university for at least one full year. Eligible faculty may first apply in their second full year. (Check Professional Development in the Faculty Handbook for additional requirements)
- Scope of funding: Faculty members are encouraged to apply for summer fellowships to conduct research or engage in a significant amount of additional study that will result in the recipient’s professional development. These fellowships are intended to support faculty members who will be conducting research during the summer months. Summer fellows cannot teach more than the equivalent of one course during the summer. Fellowships are funded in the amount of $8,750 (in June, July and August paychecks)
- Deadlines and decision dates: Proposals due before the end of the day on Monday, October 31. Late proposals will not be received or reviewed. Decisions made by the end of the Fall term.
- Application Form: Click here
Faculty Research & Development Hultquist Stipend Funds
- Funding group: Faculty Research and Development Committee
- Eligible to apply: Faculty on full-time, permanent contracts who are in their first year, only.
- Scope of funding: Awards are given to support first-year faculty development as a stipend ($2,000) to be included in summer paychecks, June, July, and August. Applicants may also apply for additional research funding (i.e., reimbursable costs, such as travel and equipment) through FR&D at the same time.
- Deadlines and decision dates: Proposals due before the end of the day on Tuesday, November 1. Late proposals will not be received or reviewed. Decisions made by the end of the Fall term.
- Application Form: Click here
Summer Research Funds
- Funding Group: Deans of Schools and of Elon College
- Eligible to apply: Faculty members in the School or College
- Scope of funding: Funding to support summer research; occasionally used also to support programmatic initiatives.
- Deadlines and decision dates: Target Deadline April 1.
- Additional information and application form: Deans’ offices. Interested faculty should contact their dean, directly.
New Faculty Summer Research
- Funding Group: Provost’s Office (through the Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs)
- Eligible to apply: New full-time, continuing- and tenure-track faculty during the summer after their first or second year of teaching at Elon.
- Scope of funding: Summer supplement to faculty salary (approximately $4,800) to allow for summer research activities. Faculty may teach no more than the equivalent of one course during the summer when funding is received. Funds are added to paycheck at the end of June, July, and August.
- Deadlines and decision dates: Awards are not granted on a competitive basis. However, eligible faculty should submit to their Dean and the Provost’s Office a one-page plan for their summer research by January 30 of the year of the funding. Research plans should articulate what one plans to do, how it is aligned with their research agenda, how they will allot their time to complete the work, and what concrete outcomes are projected. A final report of summer research progress is due in the Provost’s Office by October 15 of the year in which the stipend is given.
Service Learning Scholars
- Funding group: Academic Service-Learning Faculty Advisory Committee
- Eligible to apply: Faculty on full-time, permanent contracts.
- Scope of funding: Selected faculty receive $1,000 stipends to participate in monthly service-learning course development seminars throughout the fall semester.
- Deadlines and decision dates: Applications in March; Decisions in April
- Additional information: Contact the Advisory Committee Chair or Director of Kernodle Center for Civic Life
- Application form: Contact Kernodle Center
Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning Grants
- Funding Group: Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning
- Eligible to apply: All faculty; full-time, permanent faculty should be lead on a collaborative proposal
- Scope of funding: The CATL Teaching and Learning Grants support innovative, inclusive and/or research-based teaching and learning projects. Grants range from $1,000 to $5,000 and support start-up and one-time expenses (materials, stipends, professional development opportunities, and so on), but do not pay for ongoing operational costs, routine equipment, or a course reassignment.
- Deadlines and decision dates: Applications in mid-October and mid-April of each year. decisions will be announced approximately two weeks after the application date.
- Additional information: Contact CATL