Leaders of Elon's new LGBTQIA Alumni Network gathered on campus July 21, setting the group's goals, outlining its organization and planning events.
The group aims to strengthen and support Elon’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and ally community by involving alumni more intentionally in the life of the campus. In its inaugural year, the LGBTQIA Alumni Network plans to hold several events, including a move-in weekend welcome for incoming students, a Homecoming Weekend reunion and a Lavender Graduation celebration in May for seniors.
Led by President Hillary Waugh Bruce ’08, the LGBTQIA Alumni Network leadership team includes:
- Vice President Lindsey Altvater ’09
- Communications Co-chairs Mary Kate Carpenter ’02 and Kiticia Kaye Hayes ’98
- Homecoming Co-chairs Lori Cuadrado ’05 and Rachel Della Valle ’05
- Career/Networking Co-chairs Chris Hood ’08 and John Pickett ’03
- Alumni and Student Outreach Co-chairs Matt Lardie and Julie Messina ’05
- Scholarship and Philanthropy Chair Brian O’Shea ’04
- Awards/Recognition Chair Darris Means ’05
- Faculty Liaison Kirsten Ringelberg, associate profesor of art history and coordinator of Elon’s LGBTQ Office
The committee will hold several meetings throughout the 2012-13 academic year to further develop its mission and recruit volunteers, and a Web presence within the Elon Alumni Association website will be created. If you are interested in working with the LGBTQIA Alumni Network, please contact Durice White ’09, assistant director of alumni engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (877) 784-3566.