Students from Elon Local News and The Pendulum, Elon University's two student-run daily news-gathering organizations, were named finalists in the Society of Professional Journalists Region 2 Mark of Excellence Awards competition. The Pendulum itself also claimed finalist nods.
Below is the list of finalists.
- BEST ALL-AROUND NON-DAILY STUDENT NEWSPAPER (MEDIUM) — The Pendulum for its March 7, 2012, Oct. 3, 2012, and Nov. 28, 2012 editions
- BEST AFFILIATED WEBSITE (MEDIUM) — The Pendulum
- BEST STUDENT MAGAZINE — The Edge for its Winter 2012 edition
- BREAKING NEWS REPORTING (MEDIUM) — Katherine Blunt for “Flowers vetoes resolution against Chick-fil-A”
- FEATURE WRITING (MEDIUM) — Katherine Blunt for “Fraternity house maintenance director rebuilds life in wake of conquered alcoholism”
- IN-DEPTH REPORTING (MEDIUM) — Katherine Blunt for “Water worries: Fracking studies raise concerns among Chatham County farmers”
- PHOTO ILLUSTRATION (MEDIUM) — Claire Esparros for “Chick-fil-A: Here to stay?”
- ONLINE IN-DEPTH REPORTING (MEDIUM) — Brennan McGovern & Joe Bruno (ELN) for “Investigation of Alamance County Sheriff’s Office“
- TELEVISION IN-DEPTH REPORTING — Joe Bruno (ELN) for “DOJ investigation into ACSO”
- TELEVISION SPORTS REPORTING — Steve Roth (ELN) for “Getting in the head of a concussion”
SPJ Region 2 Mark of Excellence Awards are given in newspaper, TV, radio and online categories. Awards are given only to those who place in the top three in the region. First-place winners at the regional level move on to the national competition, at which time they will compete with 11 other first-place regional finishers. Region 2 comprises North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Delaware. Results of the Region 2 competition will be revealed at the regional conference awards luncheon Saturday, April 20 in Norfolk, Va.