Elon News Network was well-represented among the Region 2 winners and finalists.
Several students and Elon News Network were named winners and finalists across multiple categories of the Society of Professional Journalists Region 2 Mark of Excellence Awards competition.
Below is the list of the winners:
- BEST AFFILIATED WEBSITE – Elon News Network
- BEST ALL-AROUND STUDENT NEWSPAPER – March 4, 2020, Sept. 30, 2020, and Nov. 4, 2020
- GENERAL NEWS REPORTING – Grace Terry ’21 for “Elon University ranks #371 for social mobility”
- ONLINE IN-DEPTH REPORTING – Anton Delgado ’20 for “The resurgence of leprosy in Brazil”
- VIDEO GAME REPORTING – Lauren Singles ’22 for “Activating online success with eSports”
Below is the list of finalists:
- FEATURE WRITING – Christian Galvano ’21 for “Elon programs help extend education’s reach”
- BREAKING NEWS PHOTOGRAPHY – Clare Grant ’22 for “I Am Change March”
- TELEVISION IN-DEPTH REPORTING – “30 Minutes Elon – Season 10”
- BEST ALL-AROUND TELEVISION NEWSCAST – “Elon Local News” Oct. 26, 2020
- ONLINE IN-DEPTH REPORTING – Anton Delgado ’20 for “Life after registration”
Delgado’s winning entry, “The resurgence of leprosy in Brazil,” was completed during Winter Term 2019, when he was reporting as a Pulitzer Center Student Fellow. His multimedia project took him to the state of Pará in Brazil, where he produced a series of stories about the country’s failure to reach the World Health Organization’s standard for leprosy elimination.
The Television In-Depth Reporting award recognized the final project produced as part of the “30 Minutes” course in the School of Communications and featured contributions from nine students.
SPJ Region 2 Mark of Excellence Awards are given in newspaper, TV, radio and online categories. Awards are presented only to those who place in the top three in the region. Regional winners move on to the national competition, at which time they will compete with 11 other first-place regional winners. Region 2 comprises North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Delaware.
Last year, Grant and Abby Gibbs ’21 won national Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Awards for General News Reporting and Feature Photography, respectively.
Elon University has had at least one national SPJ Mark of Excellence winner every year since 2012.