Wellness @ Elon: Taking care of your body
Looking for ways to remain healthy? Well U, Elon's wellness program, offers many programs that can help you achieve this goal.
Free Physicians Assistant Available
When: Thursdays from 8 a.m. to10:45 a.m. Call ext. 5569 to schedule an appointment.
What: Free visits with a Physician Assistant to:
- Prescribe healthy life choices
- Evaluate and treat flu, colds, sinusitis, etc.
- Help you manage diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, asthma, arthritis and other chronic diseases.
"Well Check" Health Screenings
The confidential, voluntary and free baseline screening (only a finger stick) will provide you with information on your total cholesterol , LDL, HDL, triglycerides, blood sugar, blood pressure, weight and body fat percentage. Screenings offered throughout the semester on Wednesdays.
Educational Lunch & Learns
Bring a bag lunch and join the Well U staff for the following topics:
Sept. 9 - Labyrinth Meditations
Sept. 15 - What to Eat? Rediscovering Truth in a World of Choice
Sept. 28 - Raw Milk, Got Politics?
Oct. 12 - Preparing Nutrient Dense Foods cooking class
Oct. 26 - Sweet Slumber …Holistic Strategies for a Good Night’s Sleep
Nov. 9 - Transcendental Exercise
Dec. 7 - Relaxation and Re-Charge..Finding Calm in a Stressful World
Step It Up Pedometer Walking program
- Wanka Challenge (Sept. 27 through Nov.21) - Wear a pedometer and for every 35 miles walked receive a golden scratch off ticket to win great prizes.
- JDRF Fund Raiser (Oct.9) – Help make a difference by walking and raising money to cure diabetes.Well U will give you a golden scratch off ticket for walking too!
E-Lean is a group of Elon faculty and staff that meet each week to present each other with informative programs about healthy living, keep track of their weight progression with private weigh-ins and cheer each other on as they make healthy changes in their lives. Meetings are every Wednesday from noon to 12:30 p.m.
Physical movement can help you control your weight, improve brain functioning as you age, manage depression and anxiety, increase energy levels, maintain balance and flexibility, slow or prevent chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke, colon cancer, high blood pressure and osteoporosis.
During the year, Well U offers a variety of movement classes, including:
- Gentle Yoga & stretching: Mondays from 12:30 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. at Campus Recreation Studio 6.
- Genesis Lifestyle Exercises: Mondays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Parrish House.
- Pilates: Tuesdays from 12:30 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. at Campus Recreation Studio 6.
- Lifting With Liz: Tuesdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. and Fridays from 12:30 p.m. to 1;15 p.m. at the Holt Chapel's basement.
- Yoga: Wednesdays from 12:30 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. at Campus Recreation Studio 6.
- Zumba: Wednesdays from 5:15 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. at the Parrish House.
For more information about these and other wellness programs available for faculty and staff or to sign up for activities, go to Well U.
Submitted by Cindy Novak, Wellness Coordinator.