Accounting involves measuring business activities and communicating this information to investors, creditors and other decision makers who use it to make sound, informed financial decisions. This practice serves to encourage investment activity, which in turn creates jobs and helps the economy grow.
Elon's program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Accounting includes the central topics of financial and managerial accounting, plus an introduction to taxation, auditing and commercial law. The accounting program prepares the student to be a professional accountant in business, government, nonprofit and other organizations. This degree also can serve as a basis for graduate study in accounting and other fields, including business administration and law.
Students wishing to become Certified Public Accountants and practice in the field of public accounting must have 150 hours of college credit that includes at least 30 semester hours of accounting. Through careful advising, it is possible to complete the 150-hour requirement by the time the student completes the degree. Interested students should contact a faculty member for more details on how to meet this requirement. Also, students wishing to graduate with a B.S. in Accounting must complete 50 percent of their accounting credit hours at Elon University.
1. Accounting graduates will demonstrate an understanding of fundamental accounting concepts and principles.
2. Accounting graduates will demonstrate the ability to articulate and apply such accounting concepts and principles.
3. Accounting graduates will demonstrate the ability to evaluate standard accounting practices in a variety of business setting and organizational forms.
4. Accounting graduates will demonstrate the ability to integrate financial, managerial, and tax accounting concepts and principles for the purpose of aiding in business decision-making.
5. Accounting graduates will demonstrate an understanding of the role that accounting plays in the global business environment.
6. Accounting graduates will demonstrate the ability to develop and apply technology.