Theft,  Harassment & Harassing Phone Calls

Remember...Stay calm.  When you are reporting an emergency situation give concise, accurate answers to the 911 operator. Do not hang up until told to do so.
The Campus Safety and Police non-emergency phone number is (336)278-5555—on campus ext. 5555.

A. Anyone can be a victim of crime. Most criminals select their victims based upon opportunity, usually seeking opportunities of crime as opposed to targeting a specific person. If you are a victim on campus, you should immediately report it to Campus Police.

  1. Theft is one of the more prevalent crimes on campus. Thefts occur most often when property is left unattended or unsecured. Keep your belongings close to you or secured if you’re going to be away from them. For Non-emergency reporting, call ext. 5555 Campus Safety and Police.
  2. Harassment can be, and usually is, a crime directed specifically at you. It could be a problem with a personal relationship, or that someone felt offended during a brief encounter you had with him or her, or that you represent an organization that the actor has had a negative interaction with. For Non-emergency reporting, call ext. 5555 Campus Safety and Police.

    Harassment is more than just being annoyed at someone’s words or accusations. Given we work for an organization which provides a customer service; we are subject to persons being angry at what we do or not do. Sometimes we must deal with people venting their anger or frustration, but when that is displayed in a threatening, harassing, obscene, or violent manor, it’s harassment.

    In part, by legal definition, harassment is when someone “strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the other person to physical contact…” or threatens to do so, follows you “ in or about a public place”, “repeatedly commits acts which serve no legitimate purpose”, communicates to you in a lewd, threatening, or obscene manner, or repeatedly communicates in an anonymous manner. If you feel that someone’s conduct towards you rises to this level, call Campus Police.
    For further information refer to the Identity-Based Bias and Violence section

  3. Counseling Services: Remember, there are a variety of counseling services available to victims of crime. If you have been mentally or physically traumatized by an incident that occurred to you, there is help available. Survivors/victims can make an appointment with Student Health Services by calling (336) 278-7230

Harassing Phone Calls If you receive obscene, abusive, harassing, or threatening calls, the following are suggestions that may prevent further problems of this nature and/or assist in identifying the caller:

  1. Hang up at the first obscene word.
  2. Hang up if the caller remains silent the second time you say hello.
  3. Do not give any information such as your name, address, or verify your phone number until the caller has been properly identified as someone you know. The best response from you is as little as possible.
  4. Remain calm, don’t give any indications the call upsets you.
  5. Keep a record of the calls. Write down the date and time of the call, what was said, and the characteristics of the caller, such as a deep or high voice, accent, background noise, intoxicated, etc. If your phone has a caller ID feature, record or save the callers number.
  6. If calls persist, call Campus Police at ext 5555 and file a report.
  7. Be selective with whom you tell about the calls. Many obscene or harassing phone calls are made by acquaintances or someone you may have had a recent negative encounter with. Handle calls properly by discussing them only with the proper authorities that can help you deal with this.
  8. You may also contact the Dirctor for Inclusive Community Wellbeing at (336) 278-5017 or

For further information refer to the Idntity-Based Bias and Violence section