The Health Professions Scholars program is a selective merit-based program for academically strong students interested in pursuing a health-related major. Students selected to participate in the Health Professions Scholars program spend two years working closely with faculty mentors learning about the many health-related professions. The program prepares students to pursue interests in a variety of professional paths, including medical, dental, pharmacy, physician assistant, nursing, physical therapy and veterinary programs. Health Professions Scholars are part of the pre-health track that includes a community of peers from various majors.
In the first year, students deepen their understanding through engaging opportunities with a variety of medical professionals, learning about their educational and professional experiences.
Health Professions Scholars will:
- Enroll in Elon 101 with other Health Professions Scholars
- Enjoy a lecture and a meal with an expert speaker on a health-related topic, including a workshop on curricular issues specific to the health professions
- Meet with Kernodle Center for Service Learning and Community Engagement staff to learn about specific health-related opportunities
- Participate in discussions about important issues in health-related fields
- Attend two additional events, including a panel of health professionals who will discuss different career pathways
- Meet faculty in Elon’s School of Health Sciences and tour the state-of-the-art Gerald L. Francis Center
- Attend SURF (Spring Undergraduate Research Forum) presentations followed by a dinner with presenters to learn about research opportunities on campus
The second year of the program is devoted to “medicine in action,” highlighted by student collaboration on community-based, service-learning opportunities.
- Share first-year experiences at a Health Professions Scholars welcome back event
- Collaborate with fellow Scholars and identify community-based organizations, to identify health-related service opportunities
- Engage with Elon’s Student Professional Development Center staff to discover health or science focused summer research and internship opportunities
- Complete a health professions plan in collaboration with an advisor from the Health Professions Advisory Committeee