The Health Professions Scholars program is a selective merit-based program for academically strong students interested in pursuing a health-related major. Students selected to participate in the Health Professions Scholars program spend two years working closely with faculty mentors learning about the many health-related professions. The program prepares students to pursue interests in a variety of professional paths, including medical, dental, pharmacy, physician assistant, nursing, physical therapy and veterinary programs. Health Professions Scholars are part of the pre-health track that includes a community of peers from various majors.
In the first year, students deepen their understanding through engaging opportunities with a variety of medical professionals, learning about their educational and professional experiences.
Health Professions Scholars will:
- Enroll in Elon 1010 with other Health Professions Scholars
- Enjoy a lecture and a meal with an expert speaker on a health-related topic, including a workshop on curricular issues specific to the health professions
- Meet with Kernodle Center for Civic Life staff to learn about specific health-related opportunities
- Participate in discussions about important issues in health-related fields
- Attend two additional events, including a panel of health professionals who will discuss different career pathways
- Meet faculty in Elon’s School of Health Sciences and tour the state-of-the-art Gerald L. Francis Center
- Attend SURF (Spring Undergraduate Research Forum) presentations followed by a dinner with presenters to learn about research opportunities on campus
The second year of the program is devoted to “medicine in action,” highlighted by student collaboration on community-based, service-learning opportunities.
- Share first-year experiences at a Health Professions Scholars welcome back event
- Collaborate with fellow Scholars and identify community-based organizations, to identify health-related service opportunities
- Engage with Elon’s Student Professional Development Center staff to discover health or science focused summer research and internship opportunities
- Complete a health professions plan in collaboration with an advisor from the Health Professions Advisory Committeee
Ready to Apply?
Students with substantial and broad leadership experiences in their high school and/or communities and who have a 3.8 GPA or higher are competitive candidates for the program. Fifteen Health Professions Scholars are selected in each first-year class.
The Scholars application is due January 15. Students may apply for a maximum of two programs:
- Option 1: Two Fellows Programs. Under this option, you may apply to one school-based program (Business, Communications, Elon College, Engineering, Nursing or Teaching) and one nonschool-based program (Honors or Leadership).
- Option 2: One Fellows Program and one Scholars Program.
- Option 3: Two Scholars Programs.