Jane Macon Baird Scholarship
The Jane Macon Baird scholarships promote the pre-medical program at Elon University and encourages outstanding young people to enter the field of medicine. It is awarded to Honors or Elon College Fellows who participate in the pre-medical program.
This scholarship was established by Dr. and Mrs. James H. Baird of Burlington, N.C., in honor of Mrs. Baird. Dr. Baird practiced in Burlington as a physician in obstetrics and gynecology. The parents of an Elon graduate, Dr. and Mrs. Baird served as the founding co-presidents of the Elon Parents Council. The Bairds are also the donors of the Baird Pulitzer Prize Lecture series at Elon.
Two $4,000 scholarships will be awarded each year to either Honors or Elon College Fellows who intend to go to medical school and who design their undergraduate curriculum to support that goal. These scholarships are renewable annually, provided students meet the criteria for the scholarship.
In addition to consideration of high school GPA and SAT scores, the following must be completed:
- The Fellows application, including an interview during Fellows weekend. Apply online.
- An additional personal essay (500-800 words) which demonstrates a passion for medicine, knowledge of the profession and service to others by providing examples of how you know you wish to be a physician and explaining how your service to others has impacted you and your desire to be a physician.
Financial need will be considered where possible.
Criteria for Scholarship Renewal
- Maintain a 3.5 GPA in science courses and overall
- Continued progress through the premedical curriculum
- Involvement in activities that demonstrate knowledge of the medical profession and service to others
- Continued passion for medicine
Other Honors and Scholarships
Exceptional high school students could qualify for Elon College Fellows, a challenging program in the College of Arts and Sciences. All 50 Elon College Fellows chosen receive scholarships valued at $5,500 annually and a one-time $1,000 Global Study grant for a university-approved study abroad or Study USA experience. Fellows may also apply for grants to support their research experience. A special application is required; for more information, visit the fellows page.
In addition, pre-med and other Health Professions students may apply for the Lincoln Pre-Medical Scholarships each year.