Accelerated Pathways to PA and DPT
Elon offers undergraduate students a distinctive Accelerated Pathway to the university’s highly selective Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies (PA) and Doctor of Physical Therapy (PT) programs within the School of Health Sciences (SHS). Selected Accelerated Pathway students will complete their undergraduate courses in three and a half years with the opportunity for admission and enrollment into the PA and PT programs in the final semester of their fourth year (January). Students will participate in programming throughout their undergraduate career that is aimed at developing essential skills and fluencies, drawn from a liberal arts education, necessary for success as a healthcare provider.
Who should apply?
Academically strong students who have a GPA of 3.8 or higher, plan to major in the arts and sciences, and pursue a career in healthcare as a Physician Assistant or Physical Therapist. Standardized test scores are also considered. Given current circumstances, however, applicants for fall 2021 will not be required to submit an SAT or ACT.
- Enroll in Elon 101 with other Accelerated Pathways students.
- Engage in interprofessional panel discussions with healthcare professionals and graduate health profession students.
- Partner with the Student Professional Development Center for professional preparation and to develop well-crafted resumes.
- Spend summers gaining extensive volunteer or work experience in a healthcare setting.
- Attend leadership workshops and group advising meetings around global engagement, undergraduate research and intercultural competencies.
- Volunteer with the Open Door Clinic of Alamance County or H.O.P.E. Clinic and complete critical reflection around healthcare disparities.
- Work closely with undergraduate health professions and School of Health Sciences advisor to ensure academic and professional readiness.
- Participate in multiple mini interviews that focus on critical thinking and professional competencies.
Student’s opportunity for admission and enrollment into Elon’s graduate PA and PT programs is contingent upon completion of targeted programming throughout their undergraduate career aimed at developing essential skills necessary for success as a healthcare provider and fulfillment of the following during their time at Elon.
- Meet all requirements for matriculation into the Elon University PA or PT programs.
- Maintain a 3.3 cumulative undergraduate GPA and a 3.0 science GPA.
- Complete all science prerequisites required for admission to the graduate programs.
- Receive a grade of “C” or better in each prerequisite course.
- Submit a competitive Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) score (306 average score, 4.0 writing).
- Complete the minimum hours as outlined by program requirements of volunteer or work experience in a healthcare setting.
- Submit two letters of recommendation, one from a healthcare professional and one from a faculty member.
- Attend all meetings with assigned major and School of Health Sciences advisors.
- Participate in required targeted programming designed to ensure academic and professional readiness for enrollment into the Elon University PA and PT programs.
- Following completion of all requirements, participate in a PA or PT interview.
- Submit a first-year application for admission to Elon by January 10, 2021
- Submit Accelerated Pathways program application by January 15, 2021