Elon’s first-year undergraduate application is online only. A credit card is required when you apply unless you have been issued a fee waiver.
Elon University is pleased to be part of the Coalition for College as well as the Common Application. Please apply using the Elon University application, the Coalition platform, or the Common Application.
All first-year applicants must submit:
- Completed application and nonrefundable $60 fee
- Official high school transcript
- SAT or ACT scores
- Completed School Report (included in the application)
Note: Make sure you plan to take either the SAT or ACT October or November of your senior year (if you haven’t already done so) to meet application deadlines.
Admissions to Elon is competitive. Approximately 12,000 applications were received for the 1,680 seats in the first-year class.
The most important factors in the admissions decision are the academic record (including courses taken, grades attained and class standing) followed by SAT or ACT scores and the application essay. Other factors considered include leadership potential, extracurricular and service-related activities, special talents, and ability to contribute positively to the campus community.
For transfers, previous college work is the primary factor, followed by high school performance and SAT or ACT scores.
Applicants are encouraged to pursue a rigorous program of study throughout their four years of high school. We recommend the following distribution of courses:
- English: 4 units required (3 units must be completed for admissions consideration)
- Math: 3 units required (Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry), 4 recommended
- Science: 3 or more units, including at least one lab science
- Social Studies: 3 or more units, including U.S. History for U.S. residents
- Foreign Language: 2 units required, 3 recommended (Students who have not completed at least two units in one foreign language must complete a 121-level foreign language course at Elon.)
Elon requires ACT or SAT scores. Submit scores from all tests taken. Only the highest scores will be considered in the admission decision. Make sure you take either the ACT or SAT by October or November of your senior year to meet application deadlines.
Mid-academic range for first year class:
- GPA: 3.4-4.4
- ACT: 25-30
- SAT: 1170-1320