Legal Professions Scholars
Legal Professions Scholars are academically strong students interested in pursuing a career in legal education. Elon students in their first and second years work with dedicated faculty mentors learning about the law alongside a community of peers from various majors across campus with similar interests. Critical thinking, problem-solving and professionalism are emphasized, as well as interactions with students and faculty at Elon University School of Law.
In the first year, students participate in engaging experiences with attorneys and other legal professionals. Fifteen first-year students will:
- Take Elon 1010 taught by the director of Legal Professions Scholars
- Connect with law-related campus opportunities including Phi Alpha Delta and Mock Trial
- Attend lectures and panel discussions on law-related topics followed by a meal with guest speakers for discussions and analysis
- Attend SURF (Spring Undergraduate Research Forum) presentations followed by a dinner with presenters to learn more about research opportunities on campus
This year emphasizes service in the legal profession. Legal Professions Scholars will:
- Attend a welcome gathering and share first-year experiences
- Participate in a mentoring program with first- and second-year Elon Law students
- Explore opportunities to work with refugee resettlement, legal compliance in hospital settings or connect with local attorneys in private or business sectors
- Take Introduction to the Study of Law and develop an understanding of legal readings and research materials
Students can apply to the Legal Professions Scholars program following submission of their first-year application.
Ready to Apply?
Students with substantial and broad leadership experiences in their high school and/or communities are competitive candidates for Elon’s Scholars programs. Fifteen Legal Professions Scholars are selected in each first-year class.
The Scholars application is due January 15. Students may apply for a maximum of two programs:
- Option 1: Two Fellows Programs. Under this option, you may apply to one school-based program (Business, Communications, Elon College, Engineering, Nursing or Teaching) and one nonschool-based program (Honors or Leadership).
- Option 2: One Fellows Program and one Scholars Program.
- Option 3: Two Scholars Programs.
Students can apply to the Legal Professions Scholars program following submissions of their first-year application