Elon University World Language Assessment
Welcome to World Languages and Cultures at Elon! We look forward to engaging with you as a global citizen in our community, enhancing your language proficiency, intercultural competence, and your critical thinking abilities.
World language and culture study is your passport to an exciting and rewarding experience as an Elon student and global citizen.
The required language proficiency assessment helps us direct you toward opportunities associated with language and culture study: from membership in the Phi Beta Kappa honor society to competing for Fulbright grants and other international scholarships and fellowships. Interested students can also apply to live in the Polyglot (World Language) Living Learning Community in the Global Neighborhood where they can meet other students interested in World Languages and Cultures.
Help us facilitate your success with these opportunities by following the instructions below and completing the language assessment in the language(s) that you have previously studied and/or spoken. Since we need to assess what you currently know, based on your past experience, no external resources can be used to answer the assessment questions.
For incoming students, the language assessment is also used to finalize your course schedule; as well as to determine whether you can fulfill the Elon Core Curriculum’s World Language Requirement by virtue of your previous experience.
Take the Assessment
- To take your first attempt at the language assessment online for French, German, Italian, Russian and/or Spanish, please click here (full address: https://bit.ly/3auhY71).
- If you take the assessment via the above link (http://bit.ly/2VNfwSc), please email the assessment coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) after completing it, indicating you have done so.
- Typically, the assessment takes about 30 minutes.
- Since we need to assess what you currently know, based on your past experience, no external resources can be used to answer the assessment questions.
- For Latin, Hebrew, Arabic, and other languages contact email@example.com.
- To check for on-campus, in-person dates and to request a second and final, in-person attempt, see the next section titled “On-Campus Language Assessment Dates.”
NOTE: Students must have an approved assessment score and course placement by October 1st of their first year at Elon.
Students who fail to do so must take at least one course at the level of placement.
On-Campus Language Assessment Dates
Students may make an appointment at least 24 hours in advance to attempt the assessment a second, final time in person by clicking the “Make an Appointment” button below. If students prefer an in-person testing environment, they may also sign up to take the first attempt in-person. The assessment typically takes about 30 minutes.
In-person assessment sessions are typically offered on campus during new student orientation; toward the end of September (prior to the October 1st deadline); and just prior to registration advising periods.
Note: A second attempt at the assessment may only be completed in person.
Cancelled; no sign-ups.
|By appointment||Hebrew, Chinese, Arabic, or other languages (to make an appointment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)|
(The password to make an appointment is “elon1” without quotation marks.)