Center for the Study of Religion, Culture and Society
The Elon Center for the Study of Religion, Culture, and Society is the research and scholarship arm of Elon University’s multifaith initiative. It offers a set of programs dedicated to cultivating a diverse community of study and scholarly practice, promoting mutual understanding and respect across and within religious traditions and belief systems and contributing to the development of global citizenship.
Mission Statement: The Elon Center for the Study of Religion, Culture, and Society highlights and promotes the interdisciplinary study of religion, culture, and society. This faculty-led center draws together scholars from disciplines across Elon’s campus to engage with students, staff, community members, and other experts from the region and beyond. The Center will work to foster research, teaching, and dialogue that informs community knowledge and action. Pursuing fulfillment of Elon’s commitment to multifaith education and engagement, the CSRCS convenes and facilitates dialogue that advances the understanding of the role of religion in society with intellectual rigor and academic integrity.
The Center offers rich and varied resources to fulfill the university’s vision of encouraging spiritual formation and expression, promoting religious literacy and respect for diverse faith traditions and world views, examining the role of religion in society, and supporting research and scholarship on religion. The Center invites broad participation of community members into meaningful dialogue as a reflection of our commitment to the respectful exchange of ideas and perspectives.
Center intiatives include:
- Supporting the interdisciplinary study of religion among faculty and students on Elon’s campus;
- Sponsoring symposia on emerging and enduring issues related to the role of religion in culture and society;
- Promoting excellence in undergraduate research related to the study of religion;
- Hosting international scholars;
- Offering support for faculty engaging the topic of religion in classrooms and other academic settings.