Students who wish to prepare for an application to the Multifaith Scholars could take advantage of numerous Elon programs and courses that would begin to familiarize them with multifaith issues and concerns in their first and second years. For example, the Interreligious Studies Minor is a multi-disciplinary minor, also open to all students, that focuses on historical and contemporary encounters between and interactions among distinct religious communities and/or traditions. It provides students the background to analyze the character of interreligious encounter, to think critically about interfaith dialogue, and to function effectively in multi-religious and multi-cultural contexts.
Students will apply to be Scholars in the spring of their second year at Elon, securing a mentor who will work with them one-on-one to develop their application. Applications should be submitted with two letters of recommendation, one from the proposed faculty mentor and another from an Elon faculty or staff member who can speak to the students background or potential as a Multifaith Scholar. Following the review of applications, select applicants will be invited to participate in interviews in early April. Announcements of scholarships will take place in late April. Five students will be chosen each year and will be granted $5,000 per year – for a total of $10,000 in support – for their projects.
The deadline for the Multifaith Scholars application is April 1, 2024 at 5pm. Email completed applications to the program director, Dr. Amy Allocco at email@example.com.
- MFS Application Form
- Successful Essays from Previous Years
- MFS Mentor Recommendation Form
- Supporting Recommendation Form
Forms for Current Scholars and Mentors
|Term||MFS Semester Plan Due||MFS Semester Report Due|
|Scholar writes, Mentor signs||Mentor and Scholar each submit separately|
|Fall 2023||September 4||December 12|
|Winter 2024||January 8||January 29 (covers Fall & Winter terms)|
|Spring 2024||February 12||May 24|
- MFS Semester Plan
- To be filled only by Scholars who are not registering for IRS 4998 hours in a given semester – all others should complete the IRS 4998 registration form.
- MFS Semester Report for Scholars
- MFS Semester Report for Mentors
- IRS 4998 Registration Form
- Offline IRS 4998 Registration Form
- Since the IRS 4998 registration form requires a log-in to access, this document serves as a resource for Multifaith Scholars to work on with their mentors offline, in preparation of completing the online registration form.
Reimbursement forms are available here.