Application Process for Class of 2021
The application process opens September 1, 2017 and closes on March 9, 2018 at noon for first-year students.
There are three components to the application: (1) a letter of recommendation from a faculty person; (2) a letter of application; and (3) an interview with the Class Mentor. Applicants are notified of their acceptance prior to preregistration for fall semester.
The letter of application should include the following:
- A brief statement describing why you are interested in becoming a Periclean Scholar and making this long-term commitment.
- A brief statement identifying your strengths and how these might be useful to the Class and its projects.
- A written response to the following prompt. Please limit your response to 1,000-1,200 words.
Application essay prompt
The people of focus for the Class of 2021 are the Sioux living at the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. Consider the following information:
- Alcoholism affects eight out of 10 families, contributing to a death rate that is 300 percent higher than the remaining U.S. population.
- 97 percent of the population lives far below the U.S. federal poverty line with a median household income ranging between $2,600 and $3,500 per year.
- There is a 70 percent high school dropout rate.
- The teenage suicide rate is 150 percent higher than the U.S. national average.
- The infant mortality rate is the highest on this continent, and about 300 percent higher than the U.S. national average.(source: True Sioux Hope Foundation,2015)
Describe what you hope you and your cohort might contribute to and learn from your Native American partners.
Please email your application materials (as .pdf files) to Dr. Bud Warner, mentor for the Class of 2021 Periclean Scholars, at firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered through campus mail to him at Campus Box 2337.
Following receipt of your materials, you will be contacted for a personal interview. Note: As soon as you decide to apply, please contact Dr. Warner so your interview can be scheduled as early as possible. If you have any questions, feel free to contact him at email@example.com